I want nested JQL which will fetch sub-string present under says [ ] from the actual return JQL.

Deepak Kumar April 18, 2023

let say I have a JQL like 

project=projectName AND issuetype in (Epic,Story) AND 'Publish in Release Notes'=Publish ORDER BY 'Release Notes Comments', summary asc

where under "Release Notes Comments" section have some value as shown in snap below.

I want to fetch only those string [ XYZ ] without bracket (anything under the bracket should come as final output)

image.png

1 answer

0 votes
Ian Carlos
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2023

Is Release Notes a customfield? You mean that you want all your issues that Release Notes contains XYZ (I know this is an example) string?

Deepak Kumar April 18, 2023

Hi @Ian Carlos ,

Yes, 'Release Notes' is a customfield. All I want is that some JQL which return all words which is under [ ] bracket from 'Release Notes Comments'.

if I use this JQL, project=projectName AND issuetype in (Epic,Story) AND 'Publish in Release Notes'=Publish ORDER BY 'Release Notes Comments', summary asc

it will return " [XYZ]123-456 : This is just for example "

but I need only "XYZ" (i.e. whatever present under [ ] )

Ian Carlos
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2023

Hi @Deepak Kumar 

I don't think you can do that

JQL is for returning a list of issues, with all their fields

For getting a substring of a field I think you'll need to use extra tools like a programming language automation or something likewise

I mean, you'll get the full list of issues, with their fields (and customfields) full of data (not a portion of it)

Sorry if maybe I'm missunderstanding you

If you get to solve it, please let us know how, I think it would be good for the community

Suggest an answer