I still can't change names, Suggesting changes does not work

Frederic Worm January 29, 2019

How can this still be a thing? Atlassian Customers want this for years now.

My company has Jira and Confluence. Our department manges these accounts. People put in wrong names. We can't change them on our own. We have to beg everyone to put in their right names in a company system. So annoying.

No you have this "suggest changes" feature. It dosn't even work. When I suggest a change as site admin i get "Something went wrong". What kind of error message is that?

Atlassian tools are not cheap. How can this be? If this dosn't change soon I will suggest to change our tools with the next opportunity because after all this years this detail get's too annoying...

Yes, I know. Atlassian made it that way that the company dosn't own the employees accounts because they want people to use many atlassian services. But this change is selfish. The company pays per user. So I want the right to keep the data clean.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2019

Atlassian (Cloud) accounts do not belong to you, they belong to the user, so if the details are wrong on any account, it is up to the user to correct them.  It has to be this way, otherwise you're opening your system to undesirable change.  If I am an admin on a system that has a user that is also on yours, and I changed their name to "Slartibartfast" because that's what I wanted, then you would have to accept that in your system.  That's plainly wrong.  And, frankly, illegal in many places.
To "fix" this, either educate your users better, or move to an account system that you own, then you can impose whatever names you want on your users - google or a directory brought in via Atlassian Access.

Frederic Worm January 31, 2019

<p>Ticket Systems and Knowledge Bases are not a private social media plattform where there is a benefit if I log in with Google or a central Atlassian Account.</p>

<p>First: Employees make mistakes. They put in pseudonyms or wrong names. Other employees complain because they don't know who entered this ticket or who is working on it. So I have to make sure every employee puts in her/his correct name. In the past I could just correct it. Now I have to beg for it on a monthly basis.</p>

<p>Second and more important:
If I use software as a service I give trust the service company in this case atlassian. I have to trust that their software and servers are secure. This is ok. But they opened it it other companies with this new account system. I don't know which google empyees have the power to use the account system to login as another user. I am talking not about privacy! As I mentioned before this is not a social media plattform or b2c service. I am talking about systems full of company secrets!</p>

<p>No, If Atlassian dosn't give us control over the users back I will move our company tools to another service at the next opportunity. Because this is a no go. I saw posts on this topic from many people going over years now and it's always the same wrong answer like the one you gave, that people have to understand that the user accounts don't belong to the company. Why is that? It wasn't that way in the past...</p>

Like jk likes this

Still my main question remains. There is a suggest feature. Why does it give an error? Why isn't there a correct error message?
Where can I find out what is wrong?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2019

>Why is it always the same wrong argument?

There's no "wrong argument", there's a correct description of how it works and why.

>Why do the accounts not belong to me?

Because you chose to use a system that uses accounts that belong to the account holders.

>Why did Atlassian change this without asking it's customers?

They did not.  When they implemented Atlassian accounts on Cloud, they notified all existing customers well before making the change.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2019

Ah, edits.  OK

>Ticket Systems and Knowledge Bases are not a private social media plattform
Correct, they are systems that the owners let people into

>Employees make mistakes.
Yes, this happens, it's up to you to come up with a process for correcting them when it is needed.  If you want to take ownership of the accounts and put that on to the admins, that's one valid approach, but you'll need to move your system to use your user directory instead of the shared accounts.

>But they opened it it other companies with this new account system.
So?  You don't have admin over the other companies systems or any access to them.  So what if a user has access to them with their own account?  Using an account to access something else is irrelevant to your organisation.  Other systems letting people in with their account has no impact on your system.

>No, If Atlassian dosn't give us control over the users back I will move our company tools
You chose to access the system that way.  You still have full choice over whether to stay as  is, move to your own user directory, or leave.

How can I move to my own user directory? I hear about this feature for the first time.

We had control over our users in the past but it was changed by update. How do I move back?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2019

You can use Okta or some others and then plumb it into Cloud with https://www.atlassian.com/enterprise/cloud/access , or use g-suite https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/integrate-your-g-suite-directory-and-policies-938859740.html

Cloud moved to Atlassian accounts quite a while ago, the migration of the last service was over a year ago if I remember correctly

Yes, it's been more then a year now. But since so many people complained I was hoping that Atlassian changes this again. Then I saw this "suggest" button an i thought perhaps this makes at least the name correcting easier. But sadly it dosn't work.

I will take a look into you suggestions. Thank you.

Like jk likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2019

Ah, ok, I was wondering if the change was more recent! 

Most Cloud users have no problem with the users owning their accounts, but there was enough noise to help the Atlassian Access thing get over its last hurdles (Ideally, that should have come at the same time, but there was no perceived rush)

Yeah, the suggest buttons break as Atlassian keep moving things around.  That's annoying (and, yes, there is a suggestion that they fix it properly)

Felipe Dominguez February 19, 2019

Well I hope they fix it soon. It is very annoying to get that "Something went wrong"  on a feature that should be simple to implement.

On top of that is one of the very first thing I noticed in Confluence.  It does not give a very good impression.

Suggest an answer