I need to sum up the storypoints in an Epic of all linked stories

Anita Hütter April 12, 2021

I want to sum up the storypoints of all linked stories if I set the Epic in progress. JSU and JMWE plugin are available.

6 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2021

Hi @Anita Hütter ,

Kindly see this solution here  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-discussions/Calculate-the-sum-of-original-estimates-of-all-issue-types-to-an/td-p/1660572 in which I describe a solution about calculating the sum of original estimate, by using the story point field. If you tweak a bit the rule I'm describing there, you should be able to get that in no time!

Let me know if you need more help! It should be piece of cake!

Cheers,
Alex 

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2021

Using JMWE, to set the Story Points field value of Epic to sum of the Story Points field value of all the stories of the Epic, add a “Set field value (JMWE app)” post-function on the In Progress transition of the Epic, select “Story Points” field, “Value Type” as “Groovy Expression” and add the below Value :

issue.stories?.sum{ it.get("Story Points", 0) } 
0 votes
Answer accepted
Maria Kazakou {Appfire} April 12, 2021

Hi @Anita Hütter ,

Yes, JSU offers Calculated Fields features that allow you to achieve this if you are using the Cloud version.

If you need further information on the configuration, I'd be happy to help!

Best,

Maria

We have the server version- so I need a different solution

@Anita Hütter , Take a look a Abacus, you can do this in both server and cloud version. You can also do multiple rollups from subtask to story and story to epic if you choose. Below is a step by step example for subtask to story. You can adapt it for story to epic in you case. 

Like Anita Hütter likes this
0 votes
Anita Hütter April 14, 2021

Thank you guys for your informations - I try first insert a "worker status" to produce an update button on the screen...

0 votes

@Anita Hütter Abacus is allows you to create execution plans that can be either event based, run on schedule or on demand to sum up you calculations. 

0 votes

Thank you all guys for your answers! Itall helped a lot!

Anita Hütter April 13, 2021

Do someone know a possibility to trigger this postfunction eventbased?  I mean:  The storypoints of a story are updated without changing the status and the storypoints in epics should be updated too.

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2021

@Anita Hütter that's exactly what my rule does. It auto-updates the field of the epic whenever a user changes the field of the story.

Another way to do it would be using scriptrunner and listeners (Listeners (adaptavist.com)).

Natively, via a PF it's not possible to do it. Concerning JMWE I don't have a clue if and how you can manage that.

Cheers,
Alex

David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2021

On Jira Cloud, you can use JMWE's Event-based Actions to calculate the sum every time the Story Points field of an issue changes and store it on the parent Epic's Story Points field.

On Jira Server, the easiest solution is to use our JMCF app's Calculated Number field.

Suggest an answer