I need to prevent user from creating sub-task

We used to use sub-tasks but have decided against using them anymore. I moved about 5,000 sub-tasks to one sub-task named simply "sub-task". The reason why is because you cannot bulk change a sub-task to be an issue. So I am stuck with one "sub-task" within my issue type scheme. My question is this: is there a way to allow sub-tasks (I don't want to manually move them to be issues) but prevent users from creating new ones? I have about 300 users and they are very difficult to train. Thanks!

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hey Suzanne,

You can remove any subtask issue types from your issue type configuration scheme.

I should say I am looking for something within the workflow that would prevent users from creating sub-taaks.

Boris Berenberg Community Champion Dec 29, 2014

There are some great suggestions from the user community around moving those sub tasks into issues: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/37825

If you can get this working then you can just disable sub-tasks natively.

In the sub-task workflow in the Create Issue transition put a custom script validator (using Script Runner plugin):

import com.opensymphony.workflow.InvalidInputException
invalidInputException = new InvalidInputException("Subtasks cannot be created manually.")

Problem is that it will complain after user pressing 'Create' button, not before.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

A is for Activate: Share your top Jira Service Desk onboarding tips for new users!

Hi, everyone! Molly here from the Jira Service Desk Product Marketing Team :).  In the spirit of this month's  august-challenge, we're sourcing stories of Jira Service Desk activation fro...

553 views 25 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you