Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

I need to create 3 different Jira projects that use "issues" differently

Hello Jira Admins,

I need to create 3 different Jira projects that use "issues" differently.  

Project 1 - uses issues to track new user stories/enhancement requests

Project 2 - uses issues to track bugs

Project 3 - uses issues to track new features

Leadership will want to see trends across all 3 projects.  Would I be creating a monster if I were to just create a parent project and link all 3 with automation and make a (Kanban/Scrum) board?  

Thank you in advance, Olga

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey Community Leader Dec 10, 2021

Hi Olga,

My first question would be why would you need three separate projects? If these issues are somehow related it seems to me that a single project would be the way to go. But then again I don’t pretend to understand your full requirements and needs. With that said you certainly could have separate projects and you certainly can link issues but I’m not sure it’s necessary here.

Hi Jack, and thank you for such a quick reply!  

Why 3 separate projects - b/c my groups works on 3 different software products.  Leadership wants to see the full picture, while individual product teams need their own projects to manage the work.  Trouble is, they want to use Jira in different ways and I'm worried that I am going to create a monster if I give in to their whims.  

Judging from your answer, maybe it won't be so bad if were to do this?

Jack Brickey Community Leader Dec 10, 2021

Hi Olga, well that certainly makes sense. And reporting on all three projects at a higher level for the executive should not be a problem. In fact what I would do is create a dashboard for these individuals and give them a nice pretty set of charts and high-level perspective. If you are not familiar with dashboards here is some documentation that might be helpful - what-is-a-jira-dashboard . There are a number of related articles that might be of use in that link.

Like Olga Toverovskaya likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you