• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • I manage a small call center with 6 CSR's. We handle about 3,000 inbound calls and must document each call. Is Service Desk the right tool to use for this purpose?

I manage a small call center with 6 CSR's. We handle about 3,000 inbound calls and must document each call. Is Service Desk the right tool to use for this purpose?

Wayne Smith March 31, 2016

I am looking for an easy to use web based incident management tool. I need to be able to have my CSR's document each call with detail. The tool needs to have good reporting capabilities. Any thoughts on if Service Desk is what I need?

1 answer

2 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2016

I think it can suit your need. Note that JSD have native integration with Confluence (wiki like, for knowledge base and documentation) so if you would not take advantage of that, I suggest using JIRA Core.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2016

I couldn't agree more - JIRA Service Desk on its own can do that quite well as long as your users are ok with the "documentation" being a string of issues.  A better solution would definitely be to add Confluence to it so that you can generate knowledge-base pages directly from calls with a single click (and I actually abuse that function a bit - I generate KB articles from calls because that function does most of the work for me, and then move the resulting pages to other spaces in Confluence to improve the non-KB documentation)

Wayne Smith April 1, 2016

Thanks for the information. A few more questions if I may. As each customer calls in, I would like my staff to create a new ticket with a new ticket # for reference. Based on your feedback, it sounds like SD does not allow the creation of a NEW ticket # for each call but just show the issues as strings of comments? So if I wanted to know how many issues Customer "A" called on over the past 3 months, would SD generate a list of the number of calls but and maybe allow me to select each one to see additional data? Also, can I customize the SD interface on how I want my team to log tickets? I would like to show date called, customer information, issue, status, solution and other fields. Thanks in advance for any information.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2016

You can create new issues whenever you need to - in this case, I'd strongly recommend one per subject (e.g.  I ring you six times, the first three calls being about my cat, my dog and my bunny.  You fix the cat and bunny first time, but the dog is a bit of a pain and I have to ring again a couple of times.  I'd expect three issues in JSD, and a string of follow up comments on the Dog one)

You can add the fields you need to the JSD interface, yes.

Suggest an answer