I'm looking for a custom chart to compare the "Original Estimate" field with the "Time Spent" field

Ryley Fischer March 22, 2023

As a scrum master I want to be able to coach my team on their estimates so that they can learn from their previous estimates and become a more efficient team.

Acceptance Criteria:

A custom chart widget that compares the "Original Estimate" field with the "Time Spent" field sprint over sprint. 

NOTES:

I am able to easily accomplish this using two separate custom charts, but I'm looking for a way to combine the two together so anyone can easily compare our "Original Estimates" to the actual time spent on each story.

We use both hours and story points. We point the story using story points based on risks, complexities, and effort. And we break down each story into one to many sub-tasks. Each subtask has an original estimate in hours. I don't know if that matters in this instance, but I figured I would share for additional detail. 

1 answer

0 votes
Riley Venable
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023
To help your team improve their estimates, you can create a custom chart widget that combines the "Original Estimate" and "Time Spent" fields sprint over sprint. This will allow you to easily compare your team's estimates to the actual time spent on each story. Keep in mind that you should consider both hours and story points, as you point the story using story points and break it down into subtasks with original estimates in hours. By analyzing this data, you can identify areas for improvement and work with your team to make more accurate estimates in the future.
Ryley Fischer March 22, 2023

@Riley Venable - Yes I'm familiar with custom charts. I have two separate charts setup currently. One for "Original Estimates" and one for "Time Spent". I'm looking for a way to combine these into a stacked bar chart so this data is easier to read and we can more easily identify trends. Any suggestions on how to set that up?

Below is a screenshot of my current setup.

Chart.PNG

Riley Venable
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

To combine the "Original Estimates" and "Time Spent" charts into a stacked bar chart, you can customize the settings for the bar chart. In the sample table format, you can add the "Original Estimates" and "Time Spent" as the second and third columns respectively. Then, select the stacked bar chart option to display the data as a stacked bar chart. You can use the "Sort rows" or "Zero fill" step as needed to format your data.

Ryley Fischer March 23, 2023

@Riley Venable - Thank you for your prompt responses, however I apologize, I'm having a hard time following your instructions.

Here is the configuration for my 2D bar chart.

2D chart description.PNG

Here is the configuration options for a 2d stacked bar chart.

stackedbarchart.PNG

I do not see the "second and third columns" that you are referring to here.

In the sample table format, you can add the "Original Estimates" and "Time Spent" as the second and third columns respectively.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events