I can't change the status of the bug from needs review or development complete to ready for staging,

cristian_bildea April 27, 2023

2023-04-27_11h13_01.png2023-04-27_11h14_26.png2023-04-27_11h16_35.gif

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2023

Hi, @cristian_bildea - welcome to the Community!

Jira workflows have a concept called conditions and validators - it allows the Jira admin (or whoever created the workflows) to set restrictions on who or when a ticket can move from one status to another.

If a condition is set on a transition and is not met, the user will not even see the option for that transition (example: only someone with the QA role can move a ticket to a status called Testing Passed.)

If a validator is set on a transition and is not met, you'll still see the option for that status; the validator is checked when you try to move to the status and if the validator is not met, you will not be able to move the ticket. A validator is commonly used to make sure a specific field has a value before moving a ticket to a different status (example: a ticket must have a user listed in the QA Tester field before it can move to the Testing status.)

It's possible to include a custom error message when a ticket fails a validator, but it's not required. I'm guessing this is what's happening to you. You'll need to check with your Jira administrator to determine if there's a validator on that transition to Ready for Staging, and, if there is, what the validator is that needs to be met.

cristian_bildea April 27, 2023

Hi @Esther Strom I dont have setup validators and I have the same issue with Improvement not only with bugs2023-04-27_12h38_25.pngIs not validator 2023-04-27_12h37_22.png

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2023

OK, that's one thing ruled out. Is this a new transition that you've never been able to use, or have you been able to use it in the past but you're now getting errors? Is it only an issue on this specific ticket, or are you getting the error on every ticket you're trying to run this transition on?

I've occasionally run into issues on transition when a ticket has frequently changed issue types (i.e. starts as a Research ticket, changed to a Task, then changed to a Bug) - if you've changed to an issue type that has a different workflow than the original, it can sometimes go wonky. Usually (although not always) changing it back to the original issue type and then back to the current type fixes the issue.

Suggest an answer