I can't add a transition

Geoff Goodhew October 30, 2019

I'm trying to add a transition to a new workflow for a new project - a simple transition from To Do to In Progress. I'm trying to reuse an existing transition - called In Progress. Jira returns an error saying "This transition already exists between these statuses." On this project, it doesn't (it almost certainly does on other projects in our organisation).

Is there a way around this?

2 answers

1 vote
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2019

Hi @Geoff Goodhew ,

I suspect you have a transition from  "All" statuses to the "In Progress" status named "In Progress. If that is not the case could you upload a screen shot of your workflow shoeing all the transitions? 

-Scott

0 votes
Avinash Bhagawati _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2019

Hi @Geoff Goodhew ,

Basically reuse transition helps to create the transition in workflow with same transition id's and destination status should be same for new transition that is going to have same transition id.

In your case, you already have "In progress" transition from To-Do > In Progress with transition id as XX and you cannot reuse the same transition to create one more transition  for To-Do > In Progress, because two transition can not have same transition id. In order overcome this you have create new status that will result in new transition id for the newly created transition.

If want  reuse in progress transition from  Done > In Progress , you will be able to do it without any issues and that uses old transition id to reopen the issue.

Hope this clears you and it denies because you cannot have two transition with same transition id.

Thanks,

Avinash

Suggest an answer