I can only create "agility" projects

Romuald Tisserand February 5, 2018

Don't know how this happened, but when I want to create a new Jira project, the only available project type I have is "Agility", and I can't change this.

Any idea? Thanks.

5 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Varga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2018

Any chance that you are logged as a user that is not an admin?

Non-admins now have the option to create a new project themselves, but their are limited to Agility projects. Both "create project for regular users" and "agility projects" are new features. 

If you want to create Scrum, Kanban or other projects, you will need administrator privileges.

Romuald Tisserand February 6, 2018

ok, didn't know. This is exactly that. Thanks a lot.

Martin Varga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2018

No worries. The ability to create projects as a regular user has just been released. If you get a chance to use your agility project, let us know. We are still improving it and would very much like your feedback!

Romuald Tisserand February 7, 2018

Indeed I use it on a small project. Feel free to contact me for feedback if you need, no problem. Can you get access to my email address?

Martin Varga
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2018

@Romuald Tisserand No, I can't see that. But what you can do is to share a feedback using the feedback button in the left navigation bar when you are using your Agility board. That feedback goes straight to the team working on the Agility projects. You can choose to be contacted, then we can follow up. Thanks!

Romuald Tisserand February 7, 2018

I'll do, thanks @Martin Varga

Tracy Hutcheson April 13, 2018

Well I'm glad I found this thread. I've been searching for hours on google and in the documentation to figure out why I can't choose another template other than Agility. The agility template also doesn't give you the basic ability to create an epic which is what I was really trying to do.  Frustrating. The docs need to be updated or made simpler to find this info out.

Sara Allam May 20, 2018

Same here, i didn't reached a clear answer for this point from searching or in the documentation. But this answer helped.
Thanks

Tara Rowell August 13, 2018

Hi Martin,  I would advocate that permissions to create Kanban or Scrum boards should not be limited to Admins.  This seems like a process that many users could potentially need that don't necessarily need administrator rights to the entire instance.   Thanks for all the work to continually improve and enhance the products here. :)

Kirk Portas August 30, 2018

This is terrible and breaks years of experience with the product.

Like Cyril likes this
frank germano October 2, 2018

I have wasted days on this. I ended up in this state on a new project; I am the admin; I don't know how I got here. I am beginning to regret my atlassian decision.

Like Cyril likes this
eelco van weerdhuizen October 16, 2018

We need Epic link in stories in this modus

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2018

Get your admins to create a Scrum or Kanban project for you, next-gen doesn't do these yet.

1 vote
Brian Norman March 29, 2018

Sorry to re-open this but are we really saying the only user role who can create projects is the administrator and there is nothing we can do to grant project managers this access unless we make them full JIRA admins?

Thats crazy, I dont want my PMs changing workflows or user permissions etc but I need them to be able to create new scrum/kanban projects

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2018

That is correct I'm afraid.

Jira Cloud has the right model - an extra global permission for a group to be able to create projects without being admins, but I'd take Dave's comment as gospel, it's not going to server for the foreseeable.  (This product divergance is getting really annoying)

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
April 2, 2018

@Brian Norman & @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- prior to the release of agility projects in Cloud, that was the case.

The new agility based projects now add a new capability that allows all users, including non-admins, to create and configure their projects independently of other projects: this means that changes to workflows, issue types or permissions will not impact other projects. 

The story behind this is a movement towards placing decision making in the hands of people who are closest to the customer. However, we recognize that it's complicated and that this shift doesn't apply everywhere and so you still have the ability to use the existing admin-only created projects.

The new experience is in Beta and so we're looking for feedback and more live examples to shape it's future development. I'd imagine that as more features make their way to the new agility projects, the lines will blur and the tradeoffs between non-admin and admin-only project creation and management capabilities - indepdendent or shared - will change. 

I'd encourage you to perhaps go over to our new Beta group and create a discussion about how you'd like to allow anyone to create a new scrum/kanban projects, but perhaps without the ability to modify workflows and permissions, and why. 

Jenny Miller August 27, 2018

Yea I'm the same on this. I'm a PM - I have no desire to create, change, or manage settings and workflows. They've already been curated over the years by our teams. However, this Agility set up gives me none of the project settings my team needs, those we've all been operating with. Now I have to ask for permission to, basically do this part of my job. :( 

Jenny Miller August 27, 2018

Also, why not let the organization decide who can do what. This assumes that all companies operate by the same rules and that is definitely not the case. 

0 votes
Cyril January 28, 2019

It is quite unfortunate (and un-user friendly) that there is an option to allow the creation of "New Generation projects" (which is a feature that I think is not really finished, as of today), and not for the creation of "Classic projects".

Is it to incite us to use New Generation projects? We tried to use these, but too many features are lacking (as in the new Issue view).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2019

Yes it is - classic projects are complex to configure and when you're doing it, you can trash other people's projects, hence the requirement for admin rights (there's an assumption that admins know enough to not break things for others).  Next-gen projects are intended to give more power to users, including the right to create their own projects, but, of course, without the ability to wreck others.

And yes, I'm with you - they're really not ready for general use.  To many missing functions that people need.

Like Cyril likes this
Cyril January 28, 2019

Ok, I understand.

Thanks for your feedback!

0 votes
Giselle Pascual April 17, 2018

Is it possible to "promote" an independent project to a regular one? We have a user that has unknowingly created one and started the work in it, but we now need to configure it like a regular project. If there is no way to do this, how do you suggest we handle it?

Martin Varga
Atlassian Team
April 17, 2018

Take a look at this answer: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Agility-Beta-questions/Can-I-convert-an-agility-project-to-another-project-or-board/qaq-p/744354#M16

For now you'll have to create a new project and move issues to it.

0 votes
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2018

Sounds like you have installed an app that provides this new project template, and it is hiding the standard project templates. Perhaps try disabling the app (plugin/add-on)?

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2018

Ah, I see that agility projects are a newer feature

https://confluence.atlassian.com/get-started-with-jira-software/three-common-jira-software-boards-937185142.html

(off to work out how to disable that for our 10000 users and our next upgrade)

Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
February 11, 2018

@Matt Doar the ability for non-admins to create projects is granted by the new "Create independent projects" global permission: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/managing-global-permissions-776636359.html

FYI this is Jira Cloud only. No plans to bring it to Jira Server in the foreseeable future.

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2018

Phew!

KimHutchinson October 10, 2018

@Dave Meyer - Where is that permission? I can only see the option to "Create next-gen projects" - is that the same thing?

Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
October 10, 2018

Hi @KimHutchinson,

Yes, we renamed independent projects to "next-gen projects" since I originally wrote this comment.

Cheers,

Dave

Suggest an answer