I can not close a JIRA there is no option. How do I add the option to my permissions please?

Joanne Tick January 24, 2020

The other projects I have I can 'close, but this project I can mark as 'Done' but not close. I have admin rights, where do I add closed please.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
SITTER_Adrien
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2020

Hello Joanne,

What do you means by "close" ?

There is different thing in Jira:

• Status: every issue type can have a different workflow (which can be different for the same issue type between different project). A workflow can have a status "Closed" or "Done" or anything else to represent a close status.
  • Resolution: This a special field which indicate the resolution of an issue. If this field is set you can see the issue is strikethrough everywhere there is a link to this issue in Jira.
  • Disappear from Scrum board: When you close a sprint every issue which was in this sprint and its status is part of the status in the last column of the Active Sprint board will disappear from the backlog

Hi Mark,

Thank you for answering. All our projects are set up with the work flow to include ‘Close’ as an option, but I have one project that has been set up as ‘Done’ as the final state.

I need to change this to Close or it won’t work with our stats and searches.

Do you know how to change ‘Done’ to ‘Close’ in the drop down options please?

Thanks

Joanne

SITTER_Adrien
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2020

There is different possibility:

1. You can modify the workflow using the "Done" state so it will use the "Close" state. That will impact every project with an issue type using this workflow.
  2. You can modify the configuration of the project using the workflow with a "Done" state so it use the workflow with the "Close" state. But this does not change the last state but all states. If it's the only difference between the workflow this can be it.

To identify the workflow you are using:

1. Click on "Project setting" on the bottom left when on the board
  2. There is a "Workflows" part on the page, where it show the Scheme used. Click on the Scheme name.
  3. Look at the column Issue Types to find the issue type you want to change, on the same line the workflow used will be at the workflow column.

If you want to do the first solution:

1. Go to your Workflows administration and edit the workflow identified.
  2. Use the Diagram view. Click "Add status" and add the "Close" status
  3. Edit every transition going to "Done" status so it goes to "Close" status (click on the transition, then drag and drop black point on "Done" to a white point on "Close")
  4. Remove "Done" status (click on it then "Remove status" on right)
  5. Publish you change. You can select to do a copy if you are not sure to make a save of the previous workflow.

If you want to do the second solution:

1. Go to your Workflows Scheme administration and Edit the workflow Scheme that was in "Project setting" page.
  2. If the workflow you want to use is on the list click "Assign" and assign it with the issue type you want to change the workflow. If it is not in the list click on Add workflow and Add existing on the top right and select the workflow you want to use and the issue type you want to assign it to.

Let me know if you have more question.

Adrien

Thanks Adrian,

We have been able to alter it now.

Thanks for all the help

Joanne 

Suggest an answer