I am trying to add the issue key to the summary once an issue has been created

Peter Kilmartin May 25, 2023

The reason I want to add the key to the summary is because we may move an issue to another project and the reference key where it originated will be lost forever. 

We recently transitioned from AdminiTrack to Jira Software Cloud and we used a bespoke software tool to prepend the imported issues with the adminitrack ID,

for example AdminiTrack 1234

This was imported , its summary was "Issue with table being corrupted when file save executed"

In Jira it appeared with a summary of "AT1234 Issue with table being corrupted when file save executed"

This meant we could trace this item from previous records of adminitrack numbers. 

Now, today, we wish to move items between projects, for example:

ABC-123 has a summary of "AT1234 Issue with table being corrupted when file save executed"

we want to move it to the project with key EFG

We would like it to arrive in project EFG with the previous key added in, for example

EFG-101 has a summary of "ABC-123 AT1234 Issue with table being corrupted when file save executed"

Does this make sense?

I would be happy if the key was added on creation of the issue in the first place or when moved, it shouldn't need to move that often so on creation may be good enough but a bullet proof method would be every time it moves to a new project. 

Cheers!

Peter

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2023

Hi Peter - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Moves between projects which result in the key changing are all stored in the History of the issue. So, it would not be necessary to store it in the Summary. 

That being said, you can create an automation rule that is based on an Issue Moved trigger. Then you can update the Summary using smart value (Edit Issue action). The code would look like: {{triggerIssue.key}} - {{issue.summary}}

thanks I will try this!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2023

agree with @Dave Mathijs  input. if you still want to add the key to the summary use automtion like below...

trigger - issue created

action - edit issue and use something like the following for the Value

{{issue.Key}} - {{issue.Summary}}

Thanks for the help!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2023

Hi @Peter Kilmartin welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Although I understand your business requirement, why would you need the old issue key in the Summary of the new issue key? What added value does it provide for either the Reporter or the Assignee to know what the old issue key was?

Adding a comment to the issue as to why you are moving it from one project to another would be more helpful in my opinion.

Besides, the old issue key can always be found in the History:

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 14.38.15.png

HI, good point!

The reason is because other tools are used to track items based on their issue key and these tools are not automatically updated when we move items about. So something that was born ABC-123 may be recorded as that and we move it losing that reference. If we add the original key in we can at least still search on the old key and find the item. 

Does that help?

I guess we might not be using Jira how it was designed. 

Peter

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events