I am looking to create a custom field that provides the age of the issue. Not just time in status.

Jamie Edmondson November 28, 2022

I am looking to create a custom field that provides the age of the issue. Not just time in status. 

Is there already something existing in Jira that we can leverage for this info? We have a request to have this information on issues up until they are closed/resolved.

Any ideas?

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2022

Hi @Jamie Edmondson - Is the idea that someone can simply look at an issue and not have to perform math against the created date?  It's possible to do aggregated reporting against created date using dashboards.

I would recommend that if this is important that you should maybe migrate the project to JSM and leverage SLAs.  Then you flip the script on the type of reporting you want... Report against time remaining and only focus on issues that are nearing or in SLA breach.

If this is not an option for you, you'd need to look into automation for getting this kind of data available on individual issues or look into a marketplace app.  
NOTE - Depending upon your issue throughput, you may run into constraints both in terms of how many issues in a single automation execution and total executions per day.

Automation would look something like this:

• TRIGGER: Scheduled (Daily)
    • statusCategory != Done
  • ACTION: Edit Issue (Your Age field)
    • {{now.diff(issue.created).days}}
      Note - You can also use businessDays as an alternative
Jamie Edmondson November 28, 2022

@Mark Segall Thank you! This is perfect. I can't switch it to JSM, but the automation step is a great idea. 

This will resolve my issue!

Like Mark Segall likes this
2 votes
Karolina Wons_SaaSJet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2022

Hello @Jamie Edmondson 

I think Time in Status for Jira Cloud will definitely help in your case.

Additionally to generating the 7 types of status time reports (Assignee, Average, Status Entrance Date, etc), you will get the Issue Age on the grid with the ability to export this report to CSV or XLSX files.

2022-12-23_15-55-06.png

This add-on is developed by my SaaSJet team. Please, let me know if you have any questions or just try a free 30-day trial.

I hope it helps

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 28, 2022

Hello @Jamie Edmondson ,

If you are OK with using a marketplace app for this, our team at OBSS built Time in Status for this exact need. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud, and Data Center. 

You can get this data (and more) on your issues with Time in Status.

Time in Status does not add a custom field to your issues but it adds a tab named after itself. This tab is visible both on issue view screens and dashboard gadgets. 

You can define multiple metrics. Each metric will show you the duration between two statuses in the workflow.

issueview_DBS_metrics.png

Time in Status tab will calculate the values for those metrics on the fly.

issueview_DBS.png

The advantages of using Time in Status here:

• You can define multiple metrics on the same issue. Each user can define his/her own metrics. No need to go to the Jira Admin.
  • You can exclude the time for some statuses in the flow. For example statuses like "waiting for customer" can easily be excluded. A simple diff from created_date can't do this.
  • You can get your metrics based on your custom business calendar. A simple diff from created_date also can't do this.

Time in Status calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows, you don't need to create custom fields and you can get reports on your past issues as well. It supports both Company Managed and Team Managed projects.

Time in Status reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts.

And the app has a REST API so you can get the reports from Jira UI or via REST.

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example, see average InProgress time per project and per issue type.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX, or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API. (for integrations)
  • Visualize data with various chart types.
  • See Time in Status reports on Jira Dashboard gadgets

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211756/

EmreT

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 28, 2022

Hi @Jamie Edmondson

just in case the automation solution is too much of a hassle, this would also be easy to do with the Marketplace app that my team is working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you'd do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of "smart fields" that aren't natively available, including the "time since created".

This is how this looks in action:

time-since-created.gif

This "just works", there's no scripting whatsoever required. You can also configure different time formats, such as the number of hours or days. (It's worth noting that JXL can do much more than that: From inline issue creation, to support for issue hierarchies, issue grouping, and sum-ups, to conditional formatting.)

You may already know that you can trial any Marketplace app for free for 1 month, and depending on the size of your site, it may be free forever. So perhaps give it a try and see if it provides value to you.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer