I am getting refresh failed with error code 414 and message - HTTP status 414 Request-URI Too Long]

Paul Fechner November 3, 2019

Does this relate to https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Getting-error-414-Request-URI-Too-Large/qaq-p/1035970 ?

If yes, where do i modify the files to increase the apache limits as suggested?

Help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

My full error message is:

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.run(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:35)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.executeNextJob(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:60)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.executeJob(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:66)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeQueuedJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:382)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeClusteredJobWithRecoveryGuard(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:454)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeClusteredJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:430)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.launchJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:435)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launch(JobLauncher.java:90)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launchAndBuildResponse(JobLauncher.java:106)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.runJob(JobLauncher.java:134)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.devstatus.provider.DevSummaryUpdateJob.runJob(DevSummaryUpdateJob.java:85)
at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:418)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:174)
at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:151)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:471)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:481)
at java.util.Spliterators$ArraySpliterator.forEachRemaining(Spliterators.java:948)
at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$2$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:175)
at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.accept(ForEachOps.java:184)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.devstatus.provider.DefaultDevSummaryPollService.performPull(DefaultDevSummaryPollService.java:47)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.devstatus.provider.source.applink.PollResult$PollResultSuccess.fold(PollResult.java:51)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.devstatus.provider.DefaultDevSummaryPollService.lambda$performPull$1(DefaultDevSummaryPollService.java:51)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.devstatus.provider.DefaultDevSummaryPollService.handlePollingSuccess(DefaultDevSummaryPollService.java:69)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.devstatus.provider.DefaultCachingProviderHelper.refreshProvider(DefaultCachingProviderHelper.java:78)
com.atlassian.jira.plugin.devstatus.provider.DataProviderRefreshFailure: Data Provider [Id: 357391f5-9c2c-3951-800b-e301726eb575, Type: stash] refresh failed with error code 414 and message - HTTP status 414 Request-URI Too Long]
2019-11-03 20:08:48,548 Caesium-1-1 ERROR ServiceRunner [c.a.j.p.devstatus.provider.DefaultDevSummaryPollService] Refresh failure

1 answer

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2019

Hi Paul,

I see that you are getting an HTTP error code 414 error message in the logs of Jira.  It certainly seems like it is related to the KB referenced in that other thread of Long URLs Are Rejected by Apache with 'Request-URI Too Large' Error.

However that KB is specifically dealing with a Jira server that is using Apache as a reverse proxy in front of Jira to filter/redirect traffic to it.  In your case, it looks like Jira is seeing this error when trying to refresh data from Stash (aka Bitbucket).  So it might not be anything that you can configure from Jira's side at all.  Instead I suspect that this problem could be more on Bitbucket/Stash's configuration side instead.  Or possibly any reverse proxy that might sit in front of Bitbucket/Stash.  If that is the case, then the steps in that KB article could potentially still be applied here to make this work.

But from what we see here, it's not clear to me if your Bitbucket server is using an Apache proxy specifically or not.  It could be using that, or some other variety of proxy like nginx, or perhaps none at all.  I would recommend reaching out to your network administrator or the team that manages your Bitbucket site to better understand if they can help with this specific HTTP 414 error here.

Try this and let me know if you have any questions or concerns about this.

Andy

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2020

Hi! 

Could you that info into KB, please? 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-20190

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2020

While very similar in nature, the error message are technically different between these two.  One generates an HTTP 414, while the other is creating an HTTP 400 Bad request. 

I appreciate you adding this JAC ticket, but I'm cautious about update that KB.  The work-around in that JAC ticket suggests steps to take on the Bitbucket side, and proxy end specifically. But this KB is specific to Jira, so I'm not sure exactly what the details changes should be here in that KB.

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2020

I appreciate for your answer. 

Here I agree with and disagree with in same time. Because, typically first error is 414 and the 400. Please, have a look the fresh log on one of my instance. The reason of that, based on the cutted GET reuqest, which is indicated by 414 Error, then as symptoms get 400 bad request as body was cut. 

2020-04-05 12:30:41,637 Caesium-1-3 ERROR ServiceRunner [c.a.j.p.devstatus.provider.DefaultDevSummaryPollService] Refresh failure
com.atlassian.jira.plugin.devstatus.provider.DataProviderRefreshFailure: Data Provider refresh failed with error code 414 and message - HTTP status 414 Request-URI Too Large]
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.devstatus.provider.DefaultCachingProviderHelper.refreshProvider(DefaultCachingProviderHelper.java:79)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.devstatus.provider.DefaultDevSummaryPollService.handlePollingSuccess(DefaultDevSummaryPollService.java:69)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.devstatus.provider.DefaultDevSummaryPollService.lambda$performPull$1(DefaultDevSummaryPollService.java:51)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.devstatus.provider.source.applink.PollResult$PollResultSuccess.fold(PollResult.java:51)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.devstatus.provider.DefaultDevSummaryPollService.performPull(DefaultDevSummaryPollService.java:47)
at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.accept(ForEachOps.java:183)
at java.util.Iterator.forEachRemaining(Iterator.java:116)
at java.util.Spliterators$IteratorSpliterator.forEachRemaining(Spliterators.java:1801)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:482)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:472)
at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:150)
at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:173)
at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:485)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.devstatus.provider.DevSummaryUpdateJob.runJob(DevSummaryUpdateJob.java:85)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.runJob(JobLauncher.java:153)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launchAndBuildResponse(JobLauncher.java:118)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launch(JobLauncher.java:97)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.launchJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:443)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeClusteredJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:438)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeClusteredJobWithRecoveryGuard(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:462)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeQueuedJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:390)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService$1.consume(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:285)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService$1.consume(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:282)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.executeJob(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:65)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.executeNextJob(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:59)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.run(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:34)
2020-04-05 12:30:43,111 Caesium-1-3 ERROR ServiceRunner [c.a.j.p.devstatus.provider.DefaultDevSummaryPollService] Refresh failure
com.atlassian.jira.plugin.devstatus.provider.DataProviderRefreshFailure: Data Provider refresh failed with error code 400 and message - HTTP status 400 ]
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.devstatus.provider.DefaultCachingProviderHelper.refreshProvider(DefaultCachingProviderHelper.java:79)
at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.accept(ForEachOps.java:183)
at java.util.Iterator.forEachRemaining(Iterator.java:116)
at java.util.Spliterators$IteratorSpliterator.forEachRemaining(Spliterators.java:1801)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:482)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:472)
at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:150)
at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:173)
at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:485)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.runJob(JobLauncher.java:153)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launchAndBuildResponse(JobLauncher.java:118)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launch(JobLauncher.java:97)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.launchJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:443)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeClusteredJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:438)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeClusteredJobWithRecoveryGuard(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:462)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeQueuedJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:390)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService$1.consume(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:285)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService$1.consume(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:282)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.executeJob(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:65)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.executeNextJob(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:59)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.run(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:34)
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 6, 2020

Thanks for that stacktrace.  In your case, I can clearly see these errors are related.  However the KB is written in such a way that it can be used broadly in terms of helping users that encounter that error regardless of the other product integrated with Jira.

The bug report certainly deals with this error as well, but the steps there are specific to Bitbucket settings and other proxy settings.   Updating this KB with changes to Bitbucket configurations won't really be useful for everyone that might find this article.

I am open to updating the KB, but if we do that, I want to make sure that the steps listed there are still applicable to the vast majority of users that might come across that KB. Are there specific steps in the bug report work-around that you feel meet that criteria that should be in this KB?

Suggest an answer