I am getting an sql Exception Unique constraint violation SYS_IDX_57 in Jira 4.4.5

Inside my program I have written the following statement

stmt.executeUpdate("INSERT INTO CUSTOMFIELDVALUE VALUES(10001,12800,12000,NULL,'0.46 Days',NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL)");

I think the error has came because I manually created the Id(10001).

My question is how in jira the id for CUSTOMFIELDVALUE TABLE IS CREATED

And also what is SYS_IDX_57?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

Hi Srikanth,

What is the error generated in the log? Please go through this link, you'll get a clear picture about JIRA Database Schema. Also check out the Example SQL Queries in JIRA.

Thanks Naren for your help.

You should also reverse out the SQL changes you made to restore functionality before you do anything else.

And Srikanth, to stress on the database part, please do not directly manipulate JIRA database. It can result in a broken JIRA installation and restore will be your only option.

1 vote

Could you please stop tagging things with "on demand" when you are NOT using OnDemand?

Anyway, yes, you should never update a Jira database with SQL unless you know exactly what you are doing. You probably have neglected to update the counter table sequence_value_item

Also, if you are going to use SQL on a Jira database, you MUST NOT have Jira running. I can't emphasise this enough - Jira MUST be offline, shutdown, inactive. When you restart it after executing the SQL, you will then need to re-index it

Stop your Jira now if it was running, update sequence_value_item, restart and reindex.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in Jira

How to set up an incident workflow from the VP of Engineering at Sentry

Hey Atlassian community, I help lead engineering at Sentry, an open-source error-tracking and monitoring tool that integrates with Jira. We started using Jira Software Cloud internally last year, a...

1,081 views 0 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you