Howto merge customFieldId over multiple projects

Frank Litjens June 15, 2014

Hello,

We recently started using JIRA for our projects, instead Bugzilla. We imported 5 projects into from Bugzilla into JIRA but did not set a global Field Id for our custom fields, mistake! Now we have for example 5 different customFieldId identifying the same Field, e.g. when I check my custom fields I see 5 times BoardId, with different Id's. They are all text types and now I would like to merge them into a single field ID. How can I easilly do this. I do not want to reimport the projects since we already use these projects for a couple of months within JIRA.

Custom Field CustomFieldID Context #Issues
BoardID 10018 projectA 392
BoardID 10053 projectB 33
BoardID 10113 projectC 14
BoardID 10113 projectD 6
BoardID 10113 projectE 120

They are all Text-type issues and I would like to have them all under 10018 and delete the unused BoardID id's

Is there an easy way to manage this?

Kind regards,

Frank Litjens

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Frank Litjens July 20, 2014

Problem is perfectly solved via the Script Runner plugin.

0 votes
Frank Litjens July 1, 2014

Problem is perfectly solved via the Script Runner plugin.

0 votes
JK
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2014

I would try to do the following:

- make sure field #10018 is valid for all projects

- add a global workflow transition to the other projects, which copies the value from the "old" fields to field #10018. Transition should not change the issues status, I think (--> target status '-1'), make sure only you can make that transition

- do a bulkedit and move issuesthrough that transition (that will be shown in issues changehistory and lastupdated values)

- make sure the transition was successful, then remove the obsolete fields and the global transition in your workflows.

Frank Litjens June 16, 2014

Hello Jochen,

Thanks for your quick response. Do you mean creating a transition which does not change the state but only copy a value from one field to the other?

JK
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2014

Hello Frank,

yes, that is what I wanted to say.

Suggest an answer