How would you breakdown / structure the scope of work in JIRA/Confluence (Saga to Epics to storie

Alice Winston November 26, 2022

How would you breakdown / structure the scope of work   in JIRA/Confluence  (Saga to Epics to stories?)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2022

Hi @Alice Winston and welcome to the Community!

I am not really sure if I understand the scope of your question. But when I try to give you some guidance:

Confluence and Jira serve different goals: Jira is where the actual work is tracked, while Confluence is where your documentation / collaboration lives. Depending on the lifecycle stage, you will be working more in one tool than the other or vice versa. When you are documenting requirements, taking decisions or writing meeting notes, Confluence is your best friend. When you start creating stories, planning sprints and tracking progress, Jira will be more prominent.

In terms of work breakdown, standard Jira Software has a 3 level issue hierarchy, consisting of:

Epics >> Stories (tasks, bugs, ...) >> Sub-tasks

If you want to add levels above epics, you either need a Premium plan where Advanced Roadmaps allows you to extend the hierarchy above the Epics. Or on a standard plan, you could use the built-in issue linking feature to define relations. But you would also need a marketplace app to visualise that hierarchy in order to really make it work. Each option comes with a cost, which you would need to balance out with the features you actually need for your specific way of working.

Hope this helps! 

Alice Winston November 27, 2022

hi Walter, 

Thanks for your answer.

It is a bit confusing because it is one question from my BA job interview...However, I believe you provided the best source that I can apply to my slide!

Best regards

and great thanks

AW

Suggest an answer