How we can develop JIRA OnDemand add-on?

Inseok Lee June 24, 2013

What I know:

• JIRA OnDemand plugin development is differ from original plugin development.
  • I should build web application for AC.
  • It is based on URI.

What I wonder:

For developing On-Demand Add-on, I can’t find JIRA’s section area name list for placing buttons or hooking event.

1. Some module examples are described at below document, but not all. There are just kind of properties such as sub_tasks_enabled, is_issue_editable, permission and so on. Where can I get information that can handle JIRA’s view? kind of reference.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/AC/Add-on+Descriptors#Add-onDescriptors-AboutModules

2. Does developing Add-on using Atlassian Connect means that I should use JIRA’s REST API? I understand what I should write codes to descriptor(Atlassian-plugin.xml) for controlling plugin, and then, what is the role of Javascript Client Library?

There's few information for developing OnDemand add-on. I need more examples or tutorials to understand how build up OnDemand plugin.

Sincerely.

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2013

Jira OnDemand is essentially the same as downloaded Jira, with some restrictions and tweaks.

One of the restrictions is that you can not change system settings and another is that you can not add plugins other than the ones Atlassian support and enable.

So, you can't write plugin type addons for upload (yet), and if you want to write something to work with Jira, it will have to be external and communicate with Jira via REST. With REST you can do what you want, but you won't be making use of anything inside Jira other than when your code asks Jira to do something via REST (so the client library is of no use to you)

marcusjpotter February 6, 2014

@Nic Brough

Is this still the case? thank for the useful post.

- you can't write plugin type addons for upload (yet),
- it will have to be external and communicate with Jira via REST.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2014

The "yet" has changed a bit. You still cannot write plugins/add-ons for upload.

But you can now write something that is part way between an add-on and a completely external REST application - https://developer.atlassian.com/display/AC/Atlassian+Connect

Charlie Jonas July 30, 2014

So there is no way to write simular functionality to what is included in "jTricks" when using onDemand?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2014

Correct, you can only write "Connect" addons.

0 votes
marcusjpotter February 6, 2014

@Nic Brough

Is this still the case? thank for the useful post.

- you can't write plugin type addons for upload (yet),
- it will have to be external and communicate with Jira via REST.

Suggest an answer