How use Jira to keep track of dependencies to external bugs from other issue management systems ?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2012

In software the ecosystem if big and it is something common to have to track bugs to thrid party vendors.

Just by adding links to the reported bug may not be enought.

What better solutions do you have for this?

You can assume that the others to do not have Jira but that they do have web based issue tracking systems.

3 answers

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2012

Looks at Remote Issue Links if you just want to capture the details of the external bug in a link.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/JIRA+Remote+Issue+Links

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

Thanks, seems that this would be a start point if I am planning to code this inside my own plugin. Still, I was looking for something easier to implement thant writing a jira plugin.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

You can add a remote link without any code. To show status or anything else needs coding. Makes sense because different systems have different ways to do it.

Depends on how much you want ;)

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

Yep, but if I add a normal link I will not be able to differentiate between normal links and links to RSS or links to other bug trackers.

If I'm not wrong you are suggesting of having a custom link renderer which is able to improve how these links are displayed. Still this would not be able to add a comment or send an email notification when the linked pages is updated.

To implement this it would be another job, maybe a different service that would scan all the links in jira database and ping them.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

True. Remote links won't send email notifications when it is updated although you might be able to code that logic also in to your async renderer. Save the old status, see if the new status was changed, send mail and then display - something like that.

But it is best to limit the renderer just for display, for better performance. It is async but still..

1 vote
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2012

Hi Sorin,

This is possible from JIRA to JIRA -- you can link issues using one-way application links. However, JIRA only has resources to import data from another systems. It doesn't integrate with another bugtrackers by default.

Hence, I've just performed a search in marketplace.atlassian.com checking for plugins for another bugtrackers (I looked for Trac, Bugzilla, FogBugz, Redmine and Mantis), but I didn't found none. So I'm afraid that this is only possible by adding links.

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

I was not looking for a full integration, more about a simple way of linking to external bugs and be notified when the linked bug (webpage) changes or better when the status is changed. Extractingthe bug status from a web page shouldn't be too hard, or it may even work via RSS - linking RSS feeds ?!

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2012

Please explain what you mean by tracking dependencies? If there are two issues what do you want to track and how would you like that presented?

A common need is to reflect a remote issue system within JIRA, and to keep the issue updated as the remote system is updated, this is what the JEMH Regexp Field Processor can do with an inbound email generated from a 3rd party system. However, if the two issues live separate lives, that tight coupling may not be desireable...

Suggest an answer