How to write a query to find a specific issue

Augusta April 12, 2021

I want to write a query to search my project for a specific issue with any status within the last six months. The issue will have an Epic Link and a specific word contained in the description to further identify the issues searched for in that time frame.

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2021

The JQL of 

"Epic Link" = "name of epic link" and description ~ "word/phrase" 

should find it.  If you go to enter the JQL in the advanced box, it will help you complete the "Epic Link" by name, but convert the result to the Epic's issue key.

For a wider text search (looking in the description, comments, summary etc), use text ~ "word/phrase" instead of just looking in the description field

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2021

Hi @Augusta ,

I don't exactly understand your question.

But in JQL you can use 
Epic link is not empty
project = X
description ~ specific

It is not possible to search for issues that has been searched.

Regards, Marco

Augusta April 12, 2021

Hi Marco,  

I want to find a specific issue that has been worked on in our backlog.

I am new to this ....

I want to find issues that have an EPIC LINK of WORK INTAKE and the word "TOPIC" contained in the description  I want to search these issues (regardless of their status) within the past 6 months (11/9/20 - 04/12/21)

Can you write this out?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2021

See my answer above, but you'll want to add something like "and created after 11 Sep 20" to it to start defining dates

Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2021

@Augusta 

Something like this?

"Epic Link" = "WORK INTAKE" AND description ~ TOPIC AND updated >= -26w

With

updated >= -26w

you search in the issues that are updated the last 26 weeks.

Regards, Marco

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this

Suggest an answer