How to write a JQL for OKR's for Jira Automated Updates?

Michael Jacober June 24, 2021

I would like to connect Jira bug tickets to an OKR. Basically we are trying to limit the amount of bugs reported by our app, and we want to track how many bugs are reported each month compared to our KR.

Is this something that is possible?

2 answers

1 vote
Weronika Spaleniak Appfire
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 25, 2021

Hi Michael,

If I understood you correctly, you want to track the number of bugs that are reported each month against a monthly or a quarterly target.

The JQL for pulling your bugs from, let's say, June, assuming it doesn't matter if they were closed in June,  would look like this:

issuetype=bug and created>="2021/06/01" and created<"2021/07/01"

if the bugs would come from one, specific Jira project, you should add: and project=....

This will give you a number of bugs in the "Desired value", as the auto KRs are now set up to support the delivery use case. This means that the progress will show 0% unless something is done. We're planning to support this and other similar use cases with auto KRs in some time, but for now, observing the change in the Desired value and having an objective that specifies the target would be my suggestion.

Does this help?

I'm also happy to help on a call or in-app chat.

Best,

Weronika Spaleniak

Product Lead @ Digital Toucan

0 votes
Gowtam Kamath June 24, 2021

@Michael Jacober 

Create a Filter based on JQL (issueType = Bug) to list all Bugs. make sure you add issue key, Created date in the results columns + whatever additional info u need for slice n dice. ex: status, priority etc

You need to learn basic JQL and filter creation

The output can be used to represent the info in a pictorial format either using Jira dashboard or export to excel charts

Option1: Create a dashboard in Jira based on the filter results. You need to learn Dashboard creation

Option2: export the filter data to CSV. Create charts in excel

I assume a column chart with X axis. = month and Y axis for number of bugs created in a month should help you validate if the bugs are reducing as  per your OKR

Regards,

@Gowtam Kamath 

Suggest an answer