• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • How to watch a new JIRA issue (opened by others) automatically? Currently, I have to bulk watch when new issues are created. How can I become the watcher automatically?

How to watch a new JIRA issue (opened by others) automatically? Currently, I have to bulk watch when new issues are created. How can I become the watcher automatically?

nmtrung September 25, 2014

9 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Morin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2014

I would ask your JIRA administrator to add you to the Issue Created notification in the notification scheme. Not sure if each project as a unique scheme but even so its a 10 minute task if he had to do 10. A 1 minute job if they use the same scheme.

1 vote
Matt Shelton September 28, 2014

I do this presently for all defects added to my products' projects. Presuming you are a JIRA Server customer, you need to install the following plugins, both free:

Once installed, add the watcher custom field to your screen configuration and scheme (see note below about which screen). This field simply lets you display/edit the watcher list.

Then, modify your workflow's Create Issue transition, adding a post-function to modify a custom field (this post-function comes with the JIRA Suite Utilities). You can modify the watcher list field to set specific values (like your username). This does, I believe, over-write any existing watchers, so I recommend you not display this field on the screen to add a new issue for that issue type/project.

Good luck!

Andrew Morin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2014

Thanks Matt! I wasn't aware of that watcher plugin. Very cool :-)

nmtrung September 28, 2014

Thanks. I will try it.

1 vote

Currenlty, I have subscribed the filter to get the list of new created JIRA issue but I have to manually to bulk watch all of them. Are there any ways to watch them automatically?

0 votes
Mohammed Davoodi
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2016

Our organization has developed a plugin to do exactly this. You can automatically watch issues based on any JQL rules you specify. You can find the plugin here.

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2014

Preferences

Issues that you create or comment on will automatically be watched for future changes.

0 votes
Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2014

well besides been added as watcher you can do a dashboard that shows a list of new created tickets. You can have this gadgets with filters that say tickets created in the last week or day show up in here. Thats another way you can keep track of them.

0 votes

Thanks for your comments. I'm not the admin so I can not touch the notification scheme.

I'm following more than 10 projects and I'm manually bulk watching issues/stories of these project every day.

I wonder if I can watch any new created updates of a project on JIRA (the same as Confluence):

I'm watching a space on confluence so I can be notified of all new created pages.

0 votes
Benito Picarelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2014

When the issue is created, the user could also set you as a watcher. Maybe you could also add a post-function to populate the CC field with your username automatically after issue creation to make you the watcher as well?

Cheers

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2014

There is no way to automatically watch an issue. If you have a role that is generic or you want to do this across the board, you can probably add that in the notification schemes.

Suggest an answer