How to view a previous sprint that has been closed?

Winn Davis September 20, 2013

How to view a previous sprint that has been closed?

14 answers

2 accepted

39 votes
Answer accepted
vkharisma
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2013

Winn,

Its true what Whyves said above, basically you can see historical sprint data in most of JIRA Agile report mode. Please refer to - Using Report Mode

Cheers,

Winn Davis September 22, 2013

I found that and thank you both!

Jolie Roy September 22, 2016

See my note below - the Reports view isn't what we want - the list we want to see is on the Rapidboard.

Like Gabriel Pumple likes this
Deleted user April 28, 2017

Can you fix the dead link?

Like # people like this
Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2018

Please fix that bad link like Filip says...

Obed Parlapiano April 20, 2018

dead link.

Like Igor Krstic likes this
Jéhanne CHHIH April 25, 2018

Dead link.

How can we check previous sprints ?

Like Ilia Nedoluzhko likes this
Shobhit Baijal May 3, 2018

1. Go to Search on the left (magnifying glass symbol) and then select all issues.

2. In the search bar type Sprint = "<name of sprint>"

Note that the sprint name needs to be exact for this to work. There are other keywords that could be used for this search as well. 

Like # people like this
saurabh mhatre July 19, 2018

Fix the broken link. :|

Like Justin Rae likes this
Andrea Cassioli November 18, 2018

the link is still broken....

DavidB November 20, 2018

This link shows how to view (and possibly reopen) closed sprints

Reports >> Sprint Report

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/reopening-a-sprint-938845456.html

Like # people like this
Blayze Stefaniak December 31, 2018

I didn't need to reopen my sprint; I just could not see my previously closed stories on a nextgen board. 

For this, I went to Reports > Burnup Report > changed to the sprint I wanted to see > scrolled down to see sprint stories and activity.

On the "Sprint Completed" section, it showed me completed stories, but also stories which carried over to the next sprint. Therefore, it wasn't a comprehensive list of everything closed in that sprint, but it worked for what I was trying to see (ie. details of an old spike to create a new story based upon it).

Like # people like this
Trebor Fenstermaker March 14, 2019

How about a simple button that lets me see the previous sprints? Who exactly at Atlassian thinks this nonsense is an acceptable way to navigate something as simple as "what tickets were in the last sprint?"

Like # people like this
Marcel Kuijk August 28, 2019

Works for me, thanks for the comments

Like Alison likes this
Mohammad Sanati October 16, 2019

broken link!!!!

Charles Robertson November 14, 2019

I agree with Trebor. This is total nonsense. Just have a button that takes us to a list of previous sprints. Just bad UX. 

I mean how the hell do I know the exact name of a sprint, especially if it was 12 months ago. 

Give me break...

Like # people like this
Liam McMullen October 23, 2020

+1 to Trebor's point...

Especially for new-hires, employee reviews, sprint planning, release planning... need to actually see what was done and by who. 

Like # people like this
yossi cahen December 28, 2020

+1

Like katherine_bliss1 likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 25, 2022

For detailed information on closed sprints in TMP - including burndown chart, issues completed, scope change, etc - the best report is the Sprint Burndown chart!

12 votes
Brian Cooper February 24, 2019

This is ridiculous 

Trebor Fenstermaker March 14, 2019

I don't understand how this is even remotely acceptable as a method for finding something as simple as "show me the last sprint." I'm in my daily stand-up the day after we closed a sprint, trying to find the number of the ticket I worked yesterday, and ten minutes of searching here and there and I still can't find it. The entire Jira interface needs a complete re-think.

Like # people like this
Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2019

I  found the simplest solution is to use versions, create one version per sprint.  Then it is a simple matter to view all previous sprints from the Releases page. 

Like # people like this
4 votes
Anatoly Spektor June 24, 2019

I have put a short video tutorial how to see closed sprints. It works with newest Jira version - hope it helps: https://youtu.be/YH6WhyZQQfo

Kwieting September 12, 2019

@Anatoly SpektorThis does not seem to work with NextGen Projects.  I can see the list of sprints in the Velocity Report, but its just a list, not links so I can not drill down.

Mohammad Sanati October 16, 2019

If you need to make a video for such a basic thing, it means this app is a cra...

Like # people like this
Christopher_de_Grasse December 23, 2019

REPORTS- VELOCITY CHARTS - Scroll down to the Sprint.

BOOM! - Done!

Like # people like this
katherine_bliss1 September 22, 2020

@Christopher_de_Grasse Thank you, this works and perfectly simple.

2 votes
Andrea Cassioli November 18, 2018

Are you telling me that there is no direct way to see a list of closed sprints, click and get at least the list of stories????

1 vote
Sindhu August 17, 2017

Hi Jolie Roy .

You can try below query may helfull to you

Ex:

project="Mobile Apps" and sprint in closedSprints() and Sprint='Mob Sprint 35' and status=closed ORDER BY updatedDate

OR

project="Mobile Apps" and sprint in closedSprints() and status=closed ORDER BY updatedDate

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
March 17, 2021

The most reliable way to see information about previous sprints in Company-Managed Projects is to use the Velocity Report.

1. From the board you’d like to see the previous sprint on, click Reports in the left sidebar

2. Select the Velocity Chart (called Velocity Report in Next-Gen / Team-Managed projects)

3. A list of recently closed sprints is below the chart:
    sprint-list.png

4. Select any sprint displayed to view the sprint’s velocity chart and status report

5. At the top of the chart, a dropdown allows you to select the report for any previously closed sprint
    velocity.png

Don’t see the Reports option in the sidebar? A project admin may need to enable them in Next-Gen / Team-Managed projects:

1. Click Project Settings on the left sidebar

2. Select Features on the left sidebar

3. Enable the toggle for Reports from the feature list

In Team-Managed projects, the Sprint Burndown chart offers more comprehensive information about completed sprints.

0 votes
Bavani S November 26, 2018

You can access using query in filter:

Select the respective project from drop-down list, From left side bar, Select 'Issues and filters' -> follows to the option, 'All Issues' ,Click on it, there you can view from 'sprint 1 to Nth', if you want to filter previous sprint precisely, use this query:

project = project name ORDER BY Sprint DESC

https://companyname.atlassian.net/projects/LL/issues/LL-1?filter=allissues

https://companyname.atlassian.net/browse/LL-351?jql=project%20%3D%20LL%20ORDER%20BY%20Sprint%20DESC

0 votes
Shailendra Khadayat November 13, 2018

Use query statement in advanced search feature

Sprint = "<name of sprint>"

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/view-stories-in-a-closed-sprint-779159181.html

0 votes
Laura Demessine October 1, 2018

Left Report > Sprint report

0 votes
Jolie Roy September 22, 2016

I've seen the dropdown list on a Rapidboard that shows past (closed) sprints, but cannot figure out how it got there.  The user was able to use the dropdown and see a list of closed sprints she could view without using the reports.

The only thing we can see on past sprints in the Reports view is the data from the reports, not a Rapidboard.  

Is there a way to show the dropdown on the Rapidboard in the location noted in the attached image?

0 votes
Balvant Biradar June 30, 2015

Below query can be used for finding the details of Closed date in Human readable format in MySql database

select ID,Name, FROM_UNIXTIME(Start_DATE/1000),FROM_UNIXTIME(COMPLETE_DATE/1000) as completed_dates from AO_60DB71_SPRINT where  FROM_UNIXTIME(COMPLETE_DATE/1000) >= '2015-06-01' and closed = 1;

Actually in Sprint table date's are stored in Big Int format(20 digits may be) so need to change it using FROM_UNIXTIME

0 votes
Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 22, 2013

Depends on what you want to see but you can consult some previous sprint data in the Report view of the Rapid Board.

Suggest an answer