• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to use workflow validators to force time logging?

I am trying to create a rule so when someones moves a card from one column to the next on my kanban board, it forces them to log the time spend resolving the issue.

I already have the Time Tracking and Log Work fields showing on the issues. I have tried to add the following Validator onto my workflow but even when I log time on the card it doesn't let me progress the issue:

"Field Time Spent should be modified during the transition"

Can anyone tell me how I can achieve this?

5 answers

Hi Leo,

See here:

# https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-make-jira-applications-fields-required-in-a-workflow-transition-691011903.html

It should be "Time Spent" field set as required during transition.

i.e. Fields Required -> Time Spent

My understanding is that on Cloud you should have this validator included by default as per the article, on Server you'd need a plugin as far as I know, such as JIRA Suite Utilities (JSU).

(Although there are others that can do this as well, not just JSU.)

Regards,

Radek

Hi there, I use the Jira Cloud and I put the validator on my workflow to require Time Spent, but although people have logged time, that does not appear to get calc'd and it will not allow us to progress the Issue, as it shows the "Please Log Time" comment.

Has anybody found a workaround to this?

Thanks,

Christie

Like # people like this

Found a solution, via answer a ticket that I sent to Atlassian:

Once you have the validator "field required" or "field value changed" for Time Spent, since this validation happens during a transition, you need to register that change during, not before.

For that you can Edit the transition with that validator and add a screen with the Time Spent/Work log (is the same) field. I even created a new screen to show only that field once.

It seems counter-intuitive, because the same reasoning could be applied to any other field, but well, it worked for me.

Hope it helps!

Like # people like this

That helped a lot! I was searching and googling for the way to do it nearly 3 days and that's the way to be done!!!

I'm facing the same thing as @Christie Diedrick . Any updates?

Same here. didn't find a workaround yet

And same here. No news in half a year?

Same here.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you