How to use workflow trigger when working with small batch sizes

Lars Böhnke April 5, 2019

Hey there community! I'm a PO also configuring JIRA. I am constantly trying to gather feedback on the JIRA usage from my engineers to make their lives easier. One thing I though about in the past is automating transitions using workflow triggers.

However, it did not went well because I and also the engineers are encouraging small batch sizes. So you have rather three small PRs, building your story up incrementally than one big PR. That said, you will run in situations where you will have multiple PRs for one story. So a workflow trigger would move the story back and forth between 'In Progress' and 'In Review' until the final PR is merged.

Small PRs are great, easy to review, easy to understand. However, not so great for workflow automation. Does anyone here has experience solving that problem?

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2019

Hi Lars,

Currently we are not using the workflow trigger (I have tried to convince our developers that is would be so much easier for them) but the way we do it is to break down the story into smaller tasks and each PR is against that task instead of the story. Usually what the developer does when creating a branch/PR is to reference both the story and the task in order to create the link between Bitbucket and Jira.

Suggest an answer