How to use the same transition (and transition id) for multiple steps in Jira workflows?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2013

I observed that it is possible to have the same transition for multiple steps in Jira workflows.

Also, it seems that Jira is displaying these transitions using italic.

I find the reuse of transitions as very handy but I wasn't able to find how to reuse them.

If I add a new transition it will ask for the name and the other parameters, but even if I enter the same name, it will create a new one.

How can I solve this?

6 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2013

Hi Sorin,

If you are using latest JIRA instance, you can use either Global Or Common Transition which can be configured in the Diagram Edit mode only ;)

Further reading at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Workflow+Configuration#AdvancedWorkflowConfiguration-Workingwith'commontransitions'

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2013

Wow, I wouldn't expect to have features available only on the Diagram Edit mode.... that's a shame. Thanks.

Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2013

Sorin,

You can also add Common Transition using workflow XML. But, it can't be added in Text Mode.

galund-qinec August 26, 2015

That this still hasn't been fixed is pretty strange.

1 vote
HomeAway
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2013

Use the diagram mode to draw the transition between states. You will be prompted for transition details. A radio button in that dialog window will offer "Common Transition"

Ezequiel Muns October 21, 2013

Which version of Jira are we talking about? In 6.1.1 there is no 'Common Transition' radio.

paul vinter October 24, 2013

HomeAway's comment is indeed not necessarily the case.

Alfons Braunhuber January 20, 2014

@HomeAway's comment refers to the classic Diagram Mode

1 vote
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2013

Download the default JIRA as XML and open it up. You'll find them under <common-actions>.

0 votes
curt klyn April 4, 2018

Thanks, all! I've got the solution

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 9, 2015

I had to sue the Classic Workflow Designer to see the Common transition option with JIRA 6.1. Later versions of JIRA added this feature into the standard workflow designer

0 votes
Tolga Şen March 2, 2014

in JIRA 6, the functions 'reusing and cloning transition' are ignored in new ediyor. You need to switch to classic editor in order to use those function. On the other hand, new feature is created to fix this problem on new editor and waiting for your support. Vote it, Comment it, watch it to show how important it is.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-37296

Suggest an answer