How to use @mentions in comments left by Jira Automation?

Erin Blomert May 6, 2020

Just as the above says... I have an automation that leaves a comment on a task when the status is transitioned. 

I can type out in the body of the comment  '"@user" but unfortunately the comment left by the automation does not convert this to a mention.

If it matters, I'm using the wiki markup to pull the name of the user.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sachin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2020

Hello Erin,

You are right, @User isn't working, try this instead [~user] 

Comment_on_issue.png

Erin Blomert May 6, 2020

Hey, thanks for the response!

I gave it a try, and no matter what I have in the square brackets, it disregards it and @mentions "user", like so.

image.png

I've tried everything I can think of, from [~{{assignee.displayName}}]  to simply typing out the user's name and everything in between, but the result is always as shown above.

Any suggestions?

Like maricris.macha likes this
Sachin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2020

I just tested it out and it worked for me,  try to mention a different user and see if it works, if not give this post a read and check if it helps!

Sachin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2020

This might also help you troubleshoot your issue - Mentions and Autocomplete are not working in JIRA Cloud

Erin Blomert May 6, 2020

I had to go off the comments on your second link - it worked to call the account id after the ~, then pull the account ID from the person I'm trying to mention.  For example:

[~accountid:{{assignee.accountId}}]

Seems a bit unnecessary, but it worked.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
3 votes
Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2021

why is this so difficult? Why? 10s of suggestions all over the forum on this one usage pattern. every one of the suggestions works and does not work for some. 

Why Atlassian makes everything so difficult?

Just want to @ mention the assignee or reporter in a comment added by JIRA automation and so far I spent hours researching. Waste of time. 

And no, of course none of the suggestions above worked. 

I want to see a mention of reporter with added comment text, like below, where my name is mentioned and I get a JIRA notification because of that mention. 

Nari Man this ticket needs to be updated soon.

Sankara rao Kalagadandu May 20, 2021

Dear All,

Is it possible to @mention multiple users in a comment of Jira automation rule, I am trying to use a group user picker but didn't work. I am able to see the user full names but can't see tagging.  Approver field is group user picker and it has multiple users.

All the user id's will be copied to "Approver" field using automation rule.

Below is the example.

Hello [~{{Approver}}],

We would like to request your approval to process this request. Could you please approve?

-----------------

It is working fine for single user.

Like Shravya likes this
3 votes
Nick Burgess October 23, 2020

Hello, I tried this and it seems to work great for me. [{{ currentUser | userInfo("displayName") }}|~accountid:{{ currentUser._accountId }}] 

I used this in a post function to notify the current user of an automatic change in the issue.

Mack Baczynski January 21, 2021

This worked for me, but the other methods above did not. Thank you! Here's my example for others interested. I was just doing a simple automated comment that would notify the issue reporter. Hopefully this is helpful.

[~accountid:{{issue.reporter}}]

This issue has entered the "Awaiting Customer Feedback" status and needs your assistance. Please work with {{issue.assignee.displayName}} to help move the case forward.

0 votes
Steven Camilleri May 31, 2023

Hey guys, for me I wanted to show the initiator and for some reason previously I was using:
[~{{initiator.displayName}}] and this stopped working last few days. However I found that if I use instead: [~accountid:{{initiator.accountId}}] - This seems to work as previously it was working (Tagging the person who triggered the automation)

Suggest an answer