How to use formulas calculating with logged and estimated time?

Mark Herbold December 22, 2021

I want to create some JQL statements that filter the following data.

Each bullet can be a separate filter. I can imagine I can join them as desired: 

• all issues where time remaining + time logged < estimated time.
  • all issues where the time remaining was changed. The report should show by how much this was changed. Up or down does not matter.
  • all issues were the current estimate (time remaining?) > original estimate (that is the very first estimate given to the ticket).
  • Issues that changed in the 'current' week. The trick here would be to be able to re-run the query without having to adjust the week number or dates from/to every time.

I am running into problems of not knowing:

• how to 'calculate' within JQL
  • how to get some external piece of info to 'pin' the query for re-use. Much like =TODAY() does in Excel, or 'the current' week hopefully can.

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2021

Hi @Mark Herbold  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You cannot do most of the things you ask with out-of-the-box JQL.  Specifically, JQL cannot compare fields or create calculated fields for an issue, as you could with a SQL.

Some of those queries are possible with a marketplace addon to enhance JQL features.  Please look here for options: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/

You can check for issues updated during this week, such as with:

project = myProjectName AND updated >= startOfWeek() ORDER BY updated ASC

To learn what is available for some of the advance JQL searches, please look here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/use-advanced-search-with-jira-query-language-jql/

Kind regards,
Bill

Mark Herbold December 22, 2021

Thanks, @Bill Sheboy for the update.

I will check the links!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer