How to use Status and Resolution

Ole Tranberg April 28, 2021

We have a lot of different workflows in our projects. I am about to clean up in most of them.

I noticed some projects have more than one "green"-status - i.e. a status where resolution field is set to "Done".

Examples from one project are:

- Status = Done  &  Resolution = Done

- Status = Won't Fix  &  Resolution = Done

- Status = Can't Reproduce  &  Resolution = Done

I am considering to change all that to:

- Status = Done  & Resolution = Done

- Status = Done  &  Resolution = Won't Fix

- Status = Done  & Resolution = Can't Reproduce

The intention would be that all issues that are "Done" will have "status = Done", and then using the resolution field to tell how it is done.

But I am not sure which of the two solutions is the "best" or the "right" way of doing this.

Is there a correct way or a best practice for this?

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

I agree with @Jack Brickey about your approach. I've never seen a 'best practice' document about that. Jira can be configured in so many ways it would be hard to pin down a best practice other than the resolution field must be set when an issue is 'done' To me, the 'done' status shows no more work is needed and the resolution field indicates the reason the work is done. 

Ole Tranberg May 2, 2021

Thank you both of you

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2021

Your proposed approach is , IMO, the correct approach. 

Ole Tranberg April 28, 2021

Thank you.

I have tried to find documentation about how best practice is in relation to Status and Resolution. All I have found is technical descriptions about how to use 'resolution' and where to be careful when configuring Jira.

Do you know of any documentation or descriptions about best practices or right use of 'done status' and resolutions?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events