How to use Jira Creating Subtasks on Transition Plugin?

Hunter Nance July 21, 2013

Hey,

I need to be able to create subtasks on transition, and I found two plugins that can do that for me. I downloaded both groovy and "Create on transition for Jira." However, I am very new to Jira, and I can't figure out how to actually use either. (I have uploaded the plugins to my Jira, but I don't know how to actually utilize them.) Apparently Groovy has built in post functions that can do the create on transition, but I don't know how to access them.. I've already looked through the guides online, but they haven't really helped me, because their step 1 starts on a page I'm not sure how to get to.

I am using Jira Version 5.2.8, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2013

Very quick answer because it sounds like you just need a spot of help getting there...

Go to Admin -> Workflows. Edit a workflow (if you don't have any custom ones yet, then you'll need to create a new one. As you're new to workflows, I'd recommend copying the default one)

Once you're in the workflow, look for it's transtions. These change the status of issues as users click on them. Find one where you want to create subtasks, and open it up. You'll find a set of common details, and then three tabs - conditions validators and post-functions. Go to post-functions and click "add". You should be offered "create subtask" and some groovy-script-runner stuff at that poing.

Hunter Nance July 22, 2013

Thanks so much! I felt silly since I figured this out like 2 minutes after asking it, but I still appreciate it so much nontheless, and I wasn't sure if that post function was a part of groovy or the other plugin, so I appreciate your answer even more :)

Suggest an answer