How to update the Summary field by appending text using automation on jira cloud

Farah S Noshirwani (法拉) June 16, 2020

I know this might be a little old, but I got a question, 

I have a transition where a new project ticket is created, is there a way for me to set an automation to update the original ticket summary to 

Linked ticket : Original summary? 

For example if my summary is ABC and my post function created a ticket AAA-111 I would like the summary on the original ticket to show AAA-111 - ABC 

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 23, 2020

Hello @Farah S Noshirwani (法拉)

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I understand you have an automation rule that creates a new issue when a transition is executed on an existing issue. Additionally to that new issue creation, you want to copy the issue key of the new issue created to the summary start of the original issue that triggered the automation, however, keeping the original summary text after the copied issue key. Is that correct?

This scenario is a little bit complicated to achieve, however, it may possible to create another automation to achieve that goal, using a link to connect both issues and smart values to reference the issue key from one issue to another. Although there are some limitations that depends on the scenario you are facing or if you use issue link for other purposes, these would be the steps to achieve this goal:

1. In the existing automation you have to create the new issue, add a new action to link the new issue created to the existing one (Blocked by, related to, etc). This link should be used only for this scenario
  2. Create a new automation rule to copy the issue key and keep the summary of the original issue, using the instructions provided in this thread to reference the issue key of the linked issue created using Smart values. This would be an example:
    Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 16.08.41.png

This is the background scenario of the example provided above:

1. The automation rule is triggered by the same transition that triggers the automation to create a new linked issue
  2. A new re-fetch action must be done to ensure the new linked issue created in the other automation rule is recognized here
  3. Use the smart value to collect the first outward issue key {{issue.issuelinks.first.outwardIssue.key}}, supposing you didn't have any previous linked outward issues here. Also, reference the original issue summary {{issue.summary}}

Let us know if this information helps.

Farah S Noshirwani (法拉) June 25, 2020

Hi Peter, 

This is perfect and solve what I was trying to achieve. As the only link when we create the issue is the one from our transition this works. 

Thanks for the assist. 

Suggest an answer