How to update subtask status based on checkbox on parent

Deenie Petros August 15, 2023

I have a story with automation that auto creates a bunch of subtasks.  I also have on that story a checkbox field.  I would like a new automation that runs once the checkbox is checked, to update the status of only one specific subtask based on the subtask summary to have a status of 'N/A' (this is a valid status already for the subtask).  I have tried a few things but can't seem to get the subtask selected to update.  Any ideas?  Thank you.  

1 answer

0 votes
Francis Batilo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2023

@Deenie Petros

I'll try to assist you with your inquiry.

Do you mind sharing the current automation rule that you're using for the checkbox?

Cheers,

Francis

Deenie Petros August 16, 2023

automation.jpgHere is what I have so far which is not working.  the value 'CPQ' is a checkbox with one option, so I have it set for when a value is added for the rule to run.  The issue I'm running into is, I think, that it is trying to update the story status not the subtask status that I'm looking for.  

Francis Batilo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2023

@Deenie Petros

So, there are multiple ways to do this, but the safest option would be an "IF" Statement on each value of the checkbox (e.g., checkbox value 1 will only move issues with the summary of 1). However, it is a static implementation.

Another possible way around this is what I've just tested for you in my sandbox environment. It follows the same logic as your previous automation rule with the exception of using a JQL under a branch to search for the correct sub-task. You can add more specificity if needed (e.g., parent link). 

Things to explain:

1. Using the custom field value with the last indicator

- This is another limitation of this rule as it only takes in the latest value added into your checklist. Because a checklist can have multiple values in a single update, this rule will crash without the "Last" indicator. 

- The last indicator will only take the latest value added into the field and will move the sub-task accordingly, despite having more than one value on your checkbox. 

- The work around for that limitation is only adding one checklist value per edit.

**the screenshot of the rule and the configuration of the checkbox field is as follows in the screenshots below:

Let me know how you go!

atcom - 1.pngatcom - 2.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events