How to unlink a bitbucket branch from the JIRA task.

Stephen Collins January 25, 2018

I created a release branch from a master branch and for some reason a jira issue is associated to the release branch. The JIRA issue isn't associated to the master branch, but some how there's a JIRA issue linked to my release branch. How can I unlink these two? I'd like to not delete the JIRA task but I will if it is the only way to unlink. There's got to be another way, right?

18 answers

14 votes
Mike Loux September 6, 2018

"Suggest an answer".  Haha, that's cute.  No, I'm chiming in as well.  Same problem, but with a Service Desk Issue instead of a task.  Accidentally created the branch on the wrong repo (because I'm an idiot) and didn't realize it until it was added.  Deleted the existing wrong branch, created it against the correct repo, and now I have 2 branches associated with the issue, and no way to remove them.  And that sucks.  

1 vote
Francesco Salvi June 13, 2022

lol is this seriously 4 yo and still unsolved?

1 vote
Jan Pozivil February 15, 2022

Please, tell me this is now possible. I mean 4 years, this is 4 years old. 😱

1 vote
Gautam Rai March 19, 2019

I had accidentally created a brach to a different repo, and now no way to remove this unwanted branch to task.

#JIRA should fix it, and provide a way to handle this type of issues.

1 vote
Ken_Dellinger February 19, 2019

I was going to just +1 about having the same problems.

But since the page is prompting with "Suggest an answer" . . .

Asana ?

1 vote
John Busciglio July 25, 2018

Unable see an intuitive, clear cut, easy way to do this.  The other way this issue manifest itself is that looking at a repository in bitbucket, I don't see a clear cut, intuitive easy way to know what issues are linked to a particular branch.  On top of that, if I want to get back to the place that I initiated the branch creation from, i have to use browser back button.  

Is there some additional options I can add to make this essential element of linking tasks to repo branches work in a less clunky way?  Thanks!

0 votes
Chris November 1, 2022

Seems straight forward to have an exception syntax where 'ABC-123' patterns are NOT parsed and interpreted as JIRA task ids.  Perhaps, "{ABC-123}", where the curly braces provide the parsing exception.  They would exist in the plain text entry only, then hidden on rendered view, similar to URLs.

0 votes
Amir Ali Tabandeh October 11, 2022

following!

0 votes
Monica_Rossetti March 31, 2020

Looking for an answer...I only found people with the same problem and no solution :(

Dominic Giger March 2, 2021

Well, at least you're in good company. ;)

0 votes
Artur Malak September 9, 2019

[*]

0 votes
Ricardo Patino August 22, 2019

x2

0 votes
john June 12, 2019

I would also like this fixed. FYI, this bug ticket exists.

0 votes
Matthias Fleschütz June 3, 2019

Me too...

0 votes
Maxim Hébert-Gareau April 11, 2019

I'd really like to remove those unwanted link to non-existent branch too.

0 votes
Fabio Ribeiro September 21, 2018

I have the same scenario. I should ask @Mike Loux to have it fixed.

: )

Mike Loux September 21, 2018

Hah.

0 votes
Andrew Murdoch July 16, 2018

+1 on this issue.

This page (https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/synchronize-an-account-938846897.html) looks like it might provide help to clean and "sync" the Bitbucket and Jira applications, but so far (with a "full sync") there is no change to the broken branch links in Jira (where Bitbucket Git branches no longer exist).

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2018

A JIRA issue is associated with a branch if it has the issue key in the branch name. Is that the case here? The only way is to rename the branch.

John Busciglio April 16, 2018

I deleted a branch that was created from the issue but the issue still thinks it has a branch tied to it.  How to get rid of the association? 

Like # people like this
Deleted user June 21, 2018

I have exact same scenario.

I was testing out how branch creation worked via jira interface

it created a linked branch in my repo as configured during creation

I then deleted the untouched branch from bitbucket.

I want to remove the dead-end link from the jira issue but I cant edit that.

Like # people like this
Deleted user August 8, 2018

Just chiming in to say that I'm having the exact same situation. It would be really nice if there was "un-link" functionality from the Jira Software side (Jira Cloud user here).

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer