How to transfer custom fields between projects?

Ammaar Ahmed February 3, 2020

Hello,

I have created a few projects and would like the ability to move bugs and stories between projects.  For each individual project, I had to manually create custom fields that are related to the projects.  I titled each custom field the same and configured them in the same order for all the projects.  The issue is when I try to move issues between projects, none of the custom fields remain (the fields end up blank).  Can someone assist with how to fix this? 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2020

Yes, it does sound like you have created multiple independent fields for the data for each project.  This does give you a problem when you move issues - data in project-1-field-1 won't be carried into project-2 because it only belongs to project-1.

The reason you can't associate schemes is that Next-Gen projects do not work with schemes.

I'm not sure you can meld your data together in Next-Gen

0 votes

Update: So i have added the custom fields to the default screen and associated this screen with all issue types.  However, I am unable to associate the (modified) default screen with my active projects.  I went to Issue Type Schemes > Associate, but no projects show up.  What am I doing wrong? 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/associating-screen-and-issue-operation-mappings-with-an-issue-type-776636504.html

Per the above thread, I should be able to go to Projects > Screens > Use Different Scheme > Associate, but i do not see that option.  I am using the Next Gen Scrum templates for all my projects.

0 votes

After reading a few threads, it appears that the issue is because I created custom fields in each individual project as opposed to changing the configuration scheme and using that same scheme for each project.  I have the below questions:

1) Is the issue I am experiencing due to the above?  

2) Can someone let me know how to add custom fields to the configuration scheme?  I went to the Jira Settings > Custom Fields > Add Fields but I do not see the field showing up in my projects.  I selected "default screen", "resolve issue screen", and "workflow screen".  I even tried opening a new project to see if the custom field would show up, but it did not.  

3) Because I have an active project with custom fields already populated, what would be the best way to get that information over to the fields created in the configuration scheme?  If there is a way to create a configuration scheme based off the custom fields I have created within "Project A", that would be perfect.

Thanks,

Ammaar

Lennart Paul
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 22, 2022

This issue doesn´t seem resolved?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2022

See the original answer.

Suggest an answer