How to track version releases in Jira?

Jason Chayer June 29, 2022

I need a way to track releases in Jira Server across multiple projects. For example, I have a version release in one project, but in the future I need to be able to search to see what the previous release version was so I know what the next will be. And the next release may be in another project. Is there a way to do this in Jira Server, or Git?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2022

Hi @Jason Chayer 

Unfortunately versions are only available for one project natively in Jira Software Server / Datacenter, the project in which the version is created. The release hub helps you to follow and release versions within a project. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/checking-the-progress-of-a-version-938845465.html

In order to be able to use cross-project release, you need to install an Atlassian app called Advanced Roadmap, which is not free in Server version, but native in Data Center version. 

Here is the doc about cross project releases and versions:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapsserver/creating-and-configuring-cross-project-releases-813891772.html

I hope this helps a bit. 

Cheers,
Dam. 

Thanks for the reply @Dam . It is unfortunate there is not a native way to do this. I will look into the Advanced Roadmap app. Do you know if there is a way to track this in Git?

Dam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2022

@Jason Chayer git is is a free and open source distributed version control system... Its not made at all to track release in Jira, git is a totally different software and tool. 

Cheers,
Dam.

Yes, I understand that. I know there is a plug-in as well for Git. And you can push Jira releases to Git. Thanks again for your responses.

Like Dam likes this

Suggest an answer