How to track updates to documents in Confluence in Jira a single JIRA Issue

David Good July 17, 2017

I hope the above was a good description :D

So I reached out to support and they sent me on the method of getting a Confluence "Space" linked to a JIRA Project. But what I've noticed is that any and all Confluence documents that are updated get updated on any and all issues. When I pressed Atlassian that I want Document1 to match to Jira Doc1(Or whatever) and that be the only issue that gets updated with statuses, Atlassian stated that is not built it.. this seems like a basic feature for an issue tracker to me. Is Support wrong? I don't see plugins that seem to do this. If it's even possible to develop a plugin to do this.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2017

An issue tracker is for tracking issues, not doing documentation management.  I'm not sure there's much use for what you call a "basic feature" - it's very rare you see a 1:1 relationship between JIRA issues and Confluence pages.

They don't even use the same naming schemes.  Confluence pages are named, JIRA issues have a project-sequence key.  Both have simple unique incrementing IDs in the database.

I'm a bit confused by "But what I've noticed is that any and all Confluence documents that are updated get updated on any and all issues."  Confluence documents are not "on" JIRA issues.  You might  have issues refererring to pages and pages referring to issues, but an update on one end of that is an update on that object on that end of the link.

David Good July 17, 2017

So to clarify, I understand that JIRA is not document management, but there is a documented way to associate documents in Confluence with issues in JIRA.

So I guess that really boils down to, it's not possible to track updates of a document in confluence to the status of an issue in JIRA.

David Good July 17, 2017

And by track, I mean that "Document 1" has been updated and is now revision .x

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2017

Confluence tracks all the updates internally.

But some of us do use JIRA to track things like authorisation and archiving.  Usually a simple link to the document in question, with some automation sometimes.

David Good July 17, 2017

And that's acceptable to me. Appreciate it!

Suggest an answer