How to track amount of time spent in status

Dana Gould May 25, 2017

Hello!

My company is running Jira Cloud and we are trying to improve our reporting and metrics.

We are trying to determine:

1. How long each ticket has spent in each particular status 

2. Amount of times a ticket was sent to a particular status. (Not just the tickets currently in a particular status, but if a ticket has ever been in a certain status)

Essentially, we are hoping to understand how long a ticket is spending in Pull Request and also (separately) how many times a ticket has been reopened (per epic, per assignee, etc).

Is there a plugin or a report/query I haven't tried that can help with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

23 answers

143 votes
Dave Yost October 2, 2018

I think it is ridiculous that such a simple item isn't available out of the box

Logan Clemons July 29, 2019

It really is. Developers ask me for this all the time, and every time, I can't believe how difficult it is to accomplish something that should be so simple.

Like # people like this
Anthony San Juan November 27, 2019

I wonder if there are still plans around this on 2020...

Like # people like this
Anthony Martin October 29, 2021

2021, still not available.  Still ridiculous.

Like # people like this
Rob October 29, 2021

Not sure if anyone is still watching this post.  I'm looking to do something similar without having to buy extra plugins. 

If you have script runner already installed you could try extending the code below to get all statuses of an issue 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Scriptrunner-show-time-in-status-in-hours/qaq-p/1186065 

I did this at a previous company to get a quick and dirty solution. Not pretty but helped in exporting to excel and running stats through PowerBI.  Happy to share script if anyone is interested

I'm looking to check out the solution below, which is python based.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Getting-time-in-status-using-API/ba-p/1814555

The article references the "jiraone" python package, which you can find here if you needed to check teh code wasn't doing anything funky 

https://pypi.org/project/jiraone/

Like # people like this
Anthony Martin January 20, 2022

2022 2023 now.  Still paying 3rd party companies for ultra basic ticket system functionalities.  It'd be faster to write our own ticket system from the ground up than wait for Jira to be ready for Prod, it seems.

Like # people like this
Rich Nuzzi March 28, 2022

I will second Anthony's comments. This should be built in. I tried the time in status add on, and I do like it. But my problem is that you cant really use it. The data is visible, but you cant export it, put it in a usable custom field, or anything. Just look at it. In my use case, I would like to use it to display the time in the current status in the Kanban view. Also use the color coding function in Kanban view to have a color gradient reflecting time in status for the Kanban.

Very disappointing that they cant roll out something so simple. It seems that there are TONS of people asking for it. A company should listen to their customers.

Like # people like this
Aaron Kahn May 26, 2022

Created an account to come complain. 5 years later and it's still not available. Seems simple yet now I'm spending a ton of time and the only official answer from Atlassian is: "go find an app that someone else made" for a standard report.

Like # people like this
David Berg July 12, 2022

+1 to complaining on this. Such a basic feature that all other ticketing systems have.

Like # people like this
David Berg July 12, 2022

The one app that does this is $1900 a year. That's totally insane!

Like # people like this
Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2022

You can try Time Reports at affordable price, e.g. $300/y for 100 users, it has Time In Status and Pivot by Status reports.

Like Jay Moczulski likes this
Dylan Reeder July 15, 2022

+! This would be an immensely useful feature to have. 

Like # people like this
Anthony Martin July 18, 2022

Unfortunately, Dylan, the more "valuable" something is to us, the less likely it is that it will be implemented into Atlassian products, it would seem.  

Being a Jira admin feels like buying a car and then after-the-fact the care salesman is like "Oh yeah, it didn't come with brakes.  Would you like to purchase the brakes add-on for an extra $1000 a month, for as long as you own it?"  except that after you agree, that's when they mention that it doesn't come with a windshield either, and never plan on fixing it or even selling you one.

Like # people like this
Deleted user August 26, 2022

+1

Seriously Atlassian, get this feature added, this is so infuriating! 

I can see the info I need on the board, so you must be calculating it somehow, sort it out, please!

We need this data in filters and automation... 

Screenshot 2022-08-26 at 15.18.22.png

Like # people like this
Nazarii Tsymbrak August 30, 2022

We at the SaaSJet team are working on the development of the Custom fields in our Time in Status for Jira Cloud( https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219732?utm_source=Atlassian_Community&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Comment_How-to-track-amount-of-time-spent-in-status_20220826 ). Custom fields allow you to get the time in status reports for each task directly in the native Jira interface including the boards of projects.

You can try it on the Atlassian Marketplace and keep in touch with our support team: support@saasjet.com.

So we will write you when Custom fields will be available.

Hope it helps to solve your issue.

Regards, Nazarii

Rich Nuzzi August 30, 2022

Nazarii, I appreciate the work that your team has done and I have used your integration for a bit, but you are missing the point. Jira should have this natively and we should NOT have to pay for yet another app/integration. Companies are providing less and less and charging more and more. They have gotten to this toxic place that they will develop a tool, but it is not complete and does not fill what most people need. Then, they just turn it over to the 3rd party developers to fix and charge us an arm and a leg to buy 5 different add ons for things that the original software should just be doing on its own.

Like # people like this
Deleted user August 30, 2022

Yup, what Rich says!

On top of that, our company has security concerns around third-party plugins and extensions, so that's not going to happen.

Still, to the point, this requirement should be out-of-the-box by now. It's a feature that many want, and I feel is, there in part (as shown in the screenshot) but needs slightly improving to be helpful, we really need to be able to grab that info from automation and or filters... 

Like # people like this
Gary Pinkham December 21, 2022

The worst part of that is most of the time you need one of these plugins for 1 user (like a scrum master) or maybe for a small QA team or other small limited group.    yet you have to pay for a subscription for everyone..   yeah that guy in the support team?  yeap he needs it.   oh yeah the marketing person that has an account simply to submit tickets.  yeah charge her for the testing plugin.    etc etc.    

Like # people like this
Anthony Martin December 21, 2022

@Gary Pinkham - it's a pain in the neck, but you can always just set up more Jira sites for cases like that - keeping in mind you can very easily Move issues from one site to another, in which case you can have any add-ons and may not even have a subscription fee at all if you stay within the 3 user "free" limit and don't need Premium on it.  Even if you need to do this for 10 or 20 members and end up "double paying" for Jira licenses (as they might need to access both their own site and your company's main one), it can still be far cheaper than paying add-on costs for hundreds or thousands of people who'll never use it.

In some cases you might even *have* to do this for the myriad add-ons that you simply don't want to allow some users to use, and don't have a way to be disabled (e.g. Tempo Timesheets).

100% janky solution of course, but it works and is allowed, and honestly one of the main reasons we are constantly on the lookout for an alternative.

Michael Eichert February 16, 2023

+1

For a Kanban tool measuring the time in status (meaning time in a Kanban column) should be standard functionality.

Like # people like this
Fernando Gonçalves October 11, 2023

+1

6 years now! 

Like Kresimir Kukulj likes this
Michael Eichert October 13, 2023

We now use Structure by Tempo - Jira Portfolio Management & PPM | Atlassian Marketplace to measure time in status. It came in handy as we already used JIRA Structure. Still, it is a pity that one needs to get a plugin for this feature.

Like Stepan Kholodov _Tempo_ likes this
Stace C January 25, 2024

Can't believe what I've just read. This is a software development tool, right? How can you not see the time spent in each state? This smells bad. Maybe there are more Jira devs in third party companies than there are in Atlassian? Sad times

Like # people like this
Anthony Martin March 14, 2024

2022 2023 2024 now.  Still paying 3rd party companies enormous amounts of money for incredibly basic ticket system functionalities for our multi-hundred-thousand-dollar ticket system.

Like # people like this
Marcelo Meinberg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 28, 2024

@Anthony Martin thats by design, they want you to pay 3rd party apps because they get their cut as well, you'll never see simple stuff out-of-the-box in jira because it is not financially interesting to them

Like Gary Pinkham likes this
17 votes
Dana Gould May 25, 2017

Branden,

Thanks for your reply! While helpful in a way, the information I really gleamed from this is that there is currently no solution for Jira Cloud.

Both Time in Status and Jira Suites Utilities appear to be Jira Server only solutions. While Jira Charting plugin does come free and pre-installed on Jira Cloud, the documentation points out in step three that "(Optional) Install JIRA Suite Utilities Plugin, so that you can monitor each issue time in a status." I will continue to play with the Average Time in Status plugin, however I fear that it won't satisfy the particular needs of my organization and asks from leadership. 

Hope you have a great weekend,

Dana

nikhil.shrivastava December 18, 2017

@Dana GouldHi Dana, Hope you are doing great, I was looking for this same need and couldn't find any other solution.  Wanted to check with you if you were able to capture Time Spent in each Status in some way for Cloud Version.

Thanks,

Nik

Nida Rashid October 1, 2018

I am looking for the same solution @Dana Gould. It would be great to hear about your progress with this.

Kind Regards

Nida

Ray Foulk January 9, 2019

This plugin ultimately did the trick for me.  This should be built-in to JIRA.

Like # people like this
Deleted user January 10, 2019

I'd like to try it but will never pay 2.50€ per User for that. The pricing for Add ons is ridiculous, especially for a BASIC function like this.

Like # people like this
David Loszewski July 25, 2019

can you view the data in graphs on the dashboard from Time in Status?

Glenn Barnes August 12, 2019

I'd also like to know the answer to this... if JQL can be pulled from Time in Status to make filters to feed dashboard gadgets like Resolution Time. 

Logan Clemons August 12, 2019

So the data that I was dealing with was on a kanban board, so my partner and I just ended up making an iframe and sticking the control chart for that board on a dashboard. It's probably not the best solution, but it gave the reporter a way to break down cycle time from status to status, see the outliers, pull in filters, etc. Not sure if that's helpful. Good luck!

Like Jamie McCarogher likes this
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 9, 2019

Hi@David Loszewski

The add-on Time in Status for Jira Cloud by SaaSJet has been updated recently. Now you can also view all reports as charts (Pie, Bar and Area Charts). Also, you can add this data on your Jira Gadget.

In addition, there are new reports: assignee time, average time, status entrance date, time in status per date

You can check the full information about the new features at Atlassian Marketplace.

Like # people like this
Blaine North February 21, 2023

2/21/2023 and still no out of the box solution..... read numerous threads.... tons of info and all point to using a 3rd party app.

This isn't really acceptable imo JIRA should provide this function at no extra cost given their sales pitch is to be able to evaluate teams based on times and etc.

Like # people like this
Rich Nuzzi June 16, 2023

@Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_ It still cant be used in custom field. That is the entire point of this thread. I love how all of these 3rd party developers come on here to pitch their products when they don't do what we are all asking for. Sorry, but this is frustrating and Atlassian is just not listening. The mod even came in here and just gathered up a list of add ons and pasted that as the solution. Nothing better than a company ignoring its customers.....

Like # people like this
Gary Pinkham June 16, 2023

@Rich Nuzzi  far too much money for Atlassian skimming off the top of all the third part apps.  

Simple User June 18, 2023
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2023
Hi @Simple User -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

As a reminder...When recommending a marketplace vendor product, please ensure you disclose your affiliation to that vendor in your post wording. For more information about this, please see:

Atlassian Community online guidelines for Marketplace and Solution Partners

Kind regards,
Bill
Like # people like this
Megan H February 6, 2024

@Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_, I would love to be able to use your tool - we need to do this for end-of-year accounting purposes for several businesses.  But I am the only one that would need access to this - it makes NO SENSE to have to pay for hundreds of user for your app when it's needed by only one.  Plus, not being able to export the data from your app to use for other purposes and manipulation also essentially makes it useless when you're looking at a massive number of tickets.

It's really excruciating to see apps in Marketplace that you have to pay for access by all JIRA users.  It's just stupid, to be honest.   

Valeriia_Havrylenko_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 7, 2024

Hello @Megan H  👋,

I understand that you have a complaint, but unfortunately, there isn't much that we can do to rectify the situation. Add-on calculates information on all users in the instance thats why you have to pay for all users for your app. image.png
image.png

However, please note that our app offers the feature to export all data in XLS or CSV formats.

Moreover, we are happy to offer you a 30-day free trial of our application. If you would like assistance in setting it up, we can provide you with detailed documentation  or even book a live demo where we can showcase the application and answer all your questions.

I hope this information helps 😌

15 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2017

Hi Dana,

There is an add-on by OBSS called Time in Status that may be of assistance and you can create reports based on issue creation date. In addition you may also want to try the Jira Suite Utilities in conjunction with the Average Time in Status gadget

In addition there is another communities post that provides some hints other users have found when using the Average Time in Status gadget.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers!

Branden

Daniel Serodio March 15, 2018

Hi Branden,

Link to "JIRA Suites Utilities" is broken.

Thanks

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
April 9, 2019

Hello @Dana Gould

I am happy to inform you that the original Time in Status app by OBSS now has cloud support:

• Our app creates reports on how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee or user group.
  • Number of time each status or transition was used.
  • View durations in days, hours, minutes, etc.
  • Include issue fields in your report.
  • Export data as CSV, XLS or XLSX.
  • Calculate time or count averages, grouped by multi level issue fields that you select.
  • Define your own business calendars.

We now have Server, Data Center and Cloud options.

Like # people like this
Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2019

Will this app work in conjunction with being able to query time in status for an automation with Automation for Jira? 

I am trying to query the amount of time our tickets stay in a closed status so I can move them to an archive project so we keep out instance cleaned up. Unfortunately I have hit a big curb with not being able to query the amount of time tickets have been in closed status thus an automation to move these items will not work.  I want to move tickets that are in a closed status for 3 months.. 

Does anyone know of a way to query this?

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
December 5, 2019

Yes, you can use Time in Status by OBSS for this case too. It does not matter if the status transition was done by a user or by automation. As long as you can see the transition in issue history, you can use Time in Status by OBSS to report on it.

By the way, you may get the issues that were closed more than 3 months ago and not updated since, by a JQL query like below without any plugins:

project = ABC and status = Closed and updated < -12w and status changed to closed BEFORE -12w
Like # people like this
Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2019

Thank you so much I was racking my brain to find that for a while. 

Anthony Martin December 13, 2022

We've been using OBSS Time in Status for about a year now, and 2 feedbacks:
1) It's a fantastic tool, we love it, and couldn't operate as we currently do without it
2) It's infuriating that we have to pay (a lot) extra for this.   This absolutely should be a basic functionality of a tool like Jira, which is marketed as being able to do pretty much this exact thing, out of the box (but isn't).

I don't know if Jira is refusing to buy or OBSS is refusing to sell, but I'm pretty annoyed at both of them for not fixing this.  

On a more minor note, actual time in status data using OBSS isn't retrievable or able to be used in any sort of filter / query, meaning its uses are still quite limited (primarily to dashboard widgets) when this data could be so much more powerful if it could actually be queried in things like Lists / Queues / Automation.

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
December 13, 2022

Hello @Anthony Martin

I am glad to hear that you are using and benefiting from Time in Status by OBSS.

You know, the procurement of a marketplace app by Atlassian very very rarely happens and under special circumstances. I can't comment on its future possibility. All I can say is that such an idea never came up so far.

About your other minor note: So far, we intentionally avoided introducing custom field types or JQL functions that can show/query Time in Status data. We have those features in our backlog from the very early days of the app. And from a technical possibility perspective, they are relatively easy to implement. But TiS data is calculated on-demand and such features will put too much pressure on your Jira instance. They will probably cause performance problems.

We can't say "Build something that works, put a warning label on it and let the customer worry about its implications".  That's why our app doesn't have them yet. But you can be sure that we are always looking for ways to make it work and TiS will have those features when we find a stable and performant way to do this.

Thank you once again for the feedback.

Like Anthony Martin likes this
5 votes
Jonathon S October 15, 2019

Time/Days in Status is a very common request so I spent a little time ironing out a reasonably simple solution.  This will provide a dedicated "Days in Status" field.  It does require an add-on, but it's the free version of Automation for Jira.  This best suits Jira Server, but does work on Cloud as well.  Just be aware that the free of version of the cloud add-on has a monthly limit on rule executions.  

Quick, easy, and FREE way to create a "Days in Status" field for Jira Server or Cloud 

Jarrod D November 25, 2019

Hi @Jonathon S  - we are looking into this and would like to review how you accomplished this; however we cannot view your confluence page.  

Like Tomasz Skalniak likes this
Claudiu_Andrei_Sbarnea December 4, 2019

interest here as well.

Janene Hoffmann Uher December 11, 2019

Jonathan, your site is secure; therefore we cannot access the content in your link. :(

Jonathon S December 11, 2019

@Claudiu_Andrei_Sbarnea 
@Janene Hoffmann Uher 
@Jarrod D 
@Tomasz Skalniak 

The access problem has been resolved :) 

Arkadiusz Niewiadomski January 27, 2020

Many thanks - reading it with details

Chethana Harve March 27, 2020

Hi Jonathan, I'm unable to access your link above. Please could you help?

Thanks

Jonathon S April 9, 2020

apologies!  should be all good now.

Please note:  For those unaware, Atlassian purchased Automation for Jira and has begun offering the automation rules described in my how-to guide as an out-of-the-box cloud feature.  I have not verified which version or tier this applies to but, as far as I know, the tool itself will still function as described in my guide (just some of us won't need to install the add-on anymore).  I will update the page soon once I've dug a little deeper into this!

Dana Gould April 9, 2020

To elaborate on your "please note," my understanding is that the breakdown is as such (at least for Cloud):

Jira Software Free:

• 300 monthly rule executions
  • No multi-project or global rule functionality

Jira Software Standard:

• 2,000 monthly rule executions (Jira Service Desk has 5,000 monthly rule executions)
  • No multi-project or global rule functionality

Jira Software Premium:

• Unlimited monthly rule executions
  • Full multi-project and global rule functionality
Artem_danylkov May 26, 2020

Hi

Can you give me a permission for cloud version of your addon "day in status"

Jonathon S June 7, 2021

Hi everyone, glad this has helped some people!  

However, please note: at this point, this guide is likely out-of-date for some people. 

Due to (how quickly) changes to automation for jira and cloud in general have been rolled out, I am no longer confident these steps will accomplish exactly what it was initially created to do.  I will try to update it soon! 

Like Aaron Lassner likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2021

Hi @Jonathon S 

We implemented something like that over a year ago, and found it quite successful.  Often the trick to implement is in the details...There are several edge cases when measuring time-in-status using automation rules: measure granularity, manual edits by people, skipping status values during transition, backward flow, performance-errors in the REST API breaking automation, etc.  Not blockers; just things to be mindful of their impacts in the solution.

I look forward to seeing your updated post to see how it compares to what we built.  Thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

Deleted user October 11, 2021

@Jonathan S hi, we now moved to Cloud Jira and eager to try your solution, but have again lost access to that video!

kavita.desai October 14, 2021

hi @Jonathon S , please can you provide me access to the confluence page.

I am also trying to get such data for my jira project but do not want to spend on the add-ons.

tasha tokunova January 23, 2022

Hi @Jonathon S could you please share the acess with me too? I used your article as a guide 1-2 y ago, and suddenly don't have access to it anymore

Zoë Bell April 8, 2022

Hi I have requested access as this is something we would like to do. Thanks!

5 votes
Deleted user April 18, 2018

Hi @Dana Gould! I'm in desperate need of exactly this. Did you finally find a solution? If yes - please share!    

Qumar May 15, 2018

@Dana Gould and @[deleted] Please let me know as well. Thanks.

Dana Gould November 1, 2019

Hello! I actually moved companies which is why I unintentionally forsaken this thread. At my new company, we are still looking at ways to measure this information. We looked at the Time in Status plugin by OBSS, but so far find that it runs on a 24 hour clock and hasn't been that useful or helpful. 

What we have been moving more and more towards is Jira Service Desk and using the Cycle and Lead Times along with the SLA other other reporting functionality that comes with this. Another additional pro is that the customer vs "agent" functionality has added a nice facelift to our intake process. Some cons have been the customer vs agent functionality in terms of additional training, start up time, and trouble shooting. Also the additional cost of another Atlassian program that charges per user (customers are free, but you pay per agent and any JSD plugin charges you based on how many Jira users you have).

The time in status mentioned in the sub-thread above is JSD-specific and looks like it could add even more granularity.

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
November 3, 2019

Hello @Dana Gould ,

I wish you success in your new company. I also want to correct a misunderstanding.

Time in Status by OBSS does not only work on a 24 hour calendar. You can define multiple custom calendars, each with its own working days, working hours and time zone.

EmreT

Dana Gould November 4, 2019

@Emre Toptancı _OBSS_ 

Thanks Emre. That's great news! Can you explain how to set that up?

We have actually installed your plugin a month ago and have been playing with it a bit, but hit a bit of a wall since we are unable to get your documentation to load for us. 

("dev.obss.com.tr took too long to respond. ... ERR_TIMED_OUT")

This may be a firewall issue on my company's end, but it does make configuration difficult. 

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
November 5, 2019

Hello @Dana Gould ,

As you said, your firewall might be preventing access. We sometimes see similar issues with other customers as well.

When you install Time in Status by OBSS there are two default calendars. One is the 24/7 calendar and the other is the Default Business Calendar (with working hours as Monday-Friday from 08:00 to 17:00). 

You will see a settings menu on the top right corner of Time in Status screen in the shape of a cog. Using this menu you can directly go to Calendar settings. The same screen can be found under Jira Settings >> Apps >> Time in Status >> Calendar Settings. Please note that to access Calendar Settings, you will need to have admin priviliges on Jira.

image.png

Using the Calendar Settings screen you can change the Default Business Calendar or create as many different calendars as you need.

image.png

All those calendars will be available for selection in Time in Status screen, under the Calendar button on the right side of the toolbar. (Screenshot below)

image.png

The documentation for the cloud version of Time in Status by OBSS can be found here:

https://dev.obss.com.tr/confluence/display/MD/Time+in+Status+Cloud

If you have more questions, please do not hesitate to contact our support team directly by sending an email to plugin@obss.com.tr or by visiting pluginsupport.obss.com.tr.

Thanks.

EmreT

Like Dana Gould likes this
3 votes
Craig Cockburn November 7, 2020

This is absurd. A kanban tool where you can't readily see processing time per state.

Rather than another jira plug in how about just buying leankit which is a kanban tool, interfaces to jira and has reports like this out of the box including tickets going backwards, another desired feature in jira 

3 votes
Pramod Karthikeyan April 9, 2019

You can find the time spent on status by going to Report -> Control Chart -> select the status you want to see -> then identify the story number you want the time for ; It will show you the time spent on each status per story.

2 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
March 30, 2020

You can use Status Time add-on. It generates status time report based on your working calendar.
StatusDurations-M.jpg

If you are looking for a free solution, you can try Status Time Free.
IssueScreenView-3.gif

Shailja Ginoria January 29, 2021

Hi, for the status time free add on, how can we access the data in a report or see the report in the list view for multiple issues to export the information?

Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
January 29, 2021

Hi @Shailja Ginoria ,

In the free version, reporting (list view for multiple issues) is available but it is limited to 10 issues. For the full list, you need Status Time app.

I can have a session and can explain the usage of the app details in a live demo. Please contact us over support@bloompeak.io.

2 votes
Logan Clemons November 4, 2019

This code is very rough, but this is solution I came up with for my company. I capture the date the issue was created, the day it moved into acceptance status, and then calculate whether or not it met the SLA based on (acceptance status - open status). It also calculates based around weekends. You can plug in essentially any status and find out the status to status time, but it's a huge pain and building metrics off this script is essentially impossible.

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import java.sql.Timestamp
import java.time.DayOfWeek
import java.text.SimpleDateFormat
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue;

def myIssue = issue.getKey()
Issue issue = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager().getIssueObject("$myIssue")

def workingDays = 0

String date = new Date().format( 'yyyy-MM-dd' ).toString()
SimpleDateFormat sdf_cDate = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd")
Date cDate = sdf_cDate.parse(date)
Timestamp timestamp = new Timestamp(cDate.getTime())

def acceptance = ComponentAccessor.getChangeHistoryManager().getChangeItemsForField(issue, "status").find {
it.toString == "Acceptance"
}?.getCreated()

def startDate = (issue.getCreated() as Timestamp).toLocalDateTime().toLocalDate()
def currentDate = (timestamp as Timestamp).toLocalDateTime().toLocalDate()

def weekend = EnumSet.of(DayOfWeek.SATURDAY, DayOfWeek.SUNDAY)

if (acceptance) {
def acceptanceDate = (acceptance as Timestamp).toLocalDateTime().toLocalDate()

if (acceptanceDate.isBefore(startDate)) {
return null
}

while (startDate.isBefore(acceptanceDate) || acceptanceDate.equals(startDate)) {
if (!(startDate.dayOfWeek in weekend)) {
workingDays += 1
}

startDate = startDate.plusDays(1)
}
}

if (!acceptance) {
if (currentDate.isBefore(startDate)) {
return null
}

while (startDate.isBefore(currentDate) || currentDate.equals(startDate)) {
if (!(startDate.dayOfWeek in weekend)) {
workingDays += 1
}

startDate = startDate.plusDays(1)
}
}
2 votes
Terrence Joe May 9, 2018

This is exactly the information we are after as well.

Key reason is that it would help to identify bottlenecks, and also the impact of improvements that we make to address these resource issues.

We achieved a similar report before by creating an app that would download this information from the Jira API and to a Mongo DB, and then another app would parse the DB to get the results as @Dana Gould has raised.

It would be nicie if there was a default way in Jira to get this information.

Mukama January 27, 2021

This is way back. But I hope you can respond.

What did you query exactly.

Take for instance I want to measure how much time it takes to transition from "to do" to "in progress"

Like CHERI C likes this
CHERI C February 16, 2021

I’m in the way back machine too!  

I’m trying to measure how much time all issues within a certain period of time, spent in each status so I can find bottlenecks and measure remediation. 

Michael Boumansour February 18, 2021

@Mukama and @CHERI C , I have a free tool that is capable of exactly what you both need to do. It's called the Enhanced Jira Query Tool. It is a Google Sheets application that leverages the Jira REST API to retrieve data from Jira. It can retrieve any field and its respective properties from Jira. It also has special derived fields not available in Jira such as time in status, cycle/lead time, working time, waiting time, and unplanned work to name a few. You can find the tool along with other free tools I have created on the Agile Creatives Tools page. There is a demo video and usage guide for all the tools. I have also created a training video on Udemy for the Enhance Jira Query Tool.  Here is a coupon that will allow you to enroll in the course for free for the next 3 days. I hope this helps you both. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

Mike

1 vote
Almut Jenk September 17, 2021

This can be done in Basic Search and solved it for us:

statusCategoryChangedDate <= -3d AND status = "open"

statusCategoryChangedDate <= -5d AND status = "in progress"

Notes:

Select "More than X days" 

Workflow needs to switch between to do and in progress status categories (white and blue)

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2021

Hi everyone,

In the interest of brevity, I’ll mention that there are many resourceful solutions using scripts / spreadsheets scattered around the thread. If you have time and are interested in scripted solutions, please have a look at some of the options provided by other clever Jira users.

Jira’s built-in reporting functionality offers what we believe is the necessary featureset for the vast majority of teams. While this may not address the entire set of features your team may want, we believe the core product addresses the needs of most teams while offering the ecosystem the ability to extend Jira. Many marketplace apps exist - both free and paid - that add a range of features to Jira’s reporting capabilities. I encourage you to take a look at the options to consider what most fits your team’s needs:

Additionally, if you are on Jira Cloud Premium or Enterprise and interested in connecting other BI tools such as Tableau to Jira’s data, please check out the Early Access program for the Atlassian Data Lake.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2021

Hi @Daniel Eads 

What is the purpose of having an indicator for "Atlassian Recommended" answers to questions which can displace the voting provided for the community for other answers?

That mechanism seems redundant and to violate the spirit of a community-based support forum.  Thanks for any information you can provide on this feature.

Best regards,

Bill

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
April 16, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy , you can read more about how we use this indicator on its announcement post here. In short, we want to make sure that highly-viewed threads have clear, helpful, and complete solutions as close to the top as possible. Data for this question indicates there were problems for folks finding information they were after (many people clicked "No" on the "Was this helpful?" banner).

Like Josh Simnitt likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 19, 2021

Thanks for the explanation, @Daniel Eads Although I have never associated that "Was this helpful?" banner with any specific posting.  It seems to appear when the page paints, regardless of anything changing, or not changing, on a page and so probably cannot be used to accurately inform any selection of a recommendation.  The voting seems a much more accurate and targeted method of identify valuable information.

Best regards,

Bill

1 vote
Marina Veselić July 26, 2019

Is it possible to create an advanced JQL using keyords like WAS and DURING?

Something like:

status was "Waiting for customer" DURING (-1w , -1w) and status = "Waiting for customer" and updated<-1w

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA044/Advanced+Searching

Cheers,

Marina

1 vote
Saad March 15, 2019

Is there a request raised with JIRA for a solution on this?

0 votes
Boomer_V1 October 13, 2023

We are now just pulling everything into Google BigQuery using the BigQuery Connector for Jira and writing our own reports using Grafana. All the information you need for time in status is in the Issues and TimeInStatus tables.

0 votes
Kiran Kumar Doddi October 14, 2022

Board Settings -> card Layout -> at the bottom you will find Days in column

Hope this helps in knowing the time spent by each ticket in the workflow/column

Rich Nuzzi October 14, 2022

Kiran, yes, this is true, but not very useful. It only shows three colored dots on the card. You have to hover to se the days. And you cant actually use this info. Most people here want to have time in status in field and use it in formulas and pull it for reporting in other data analytics programs. Bottom line is that this feature should be native to the program. They have the information, they just don't want to make it easily available to us.

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
September 7, 2020

Hi All

You may want to try out the plugin, Agile Tools : Epic Tree & Time in Status 

It provides 3 major functionalities in one add-on

• Time in Status Reports
    • Time in Status
    • Time with Assignee
    • Time in Status with Assignee
    • Time with Assignee per Status
    • Status/Assignee Count
    • Multiple Transition Reports
  • Epic Hierarchy
  • Link Hierarchy

TISwA-5-Apr.PNG

Epic Hierarchy Screen_Server_Latest.PNG

Link Hierarchy.PNG

0 votes
Eugene Yasiuchenko January 15, 2020

We've faced with the same problem/need in our company. The best FREE solution in the Market - is 'Timentify' plugin: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221604/timentify?hosting=cloud&tab=overview 

It's not yet offering extensive reports, but it's ideal for getting an instant info for a given issue. Using this one. It does exactly what we need. Can't wait for the reporting feature.

Louise Hall February 7, 2020

Thanks Eugene. How do you use this plugin? I've installed it but what next?

0 votes
Deleted user September 5, 2019

There's a standard jira plugin available by atlassian - Jira Charting - https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/JCHART/overview 

It provides chart widgets for time in status.

Deleted user May 19, 2020

This is only for resolved issues. Not issues currently in flight.

0 votes
Stefanie Jamison May 30, 2019

This may work for the first question

Reports > Time Reports > Report Drop Down Menu > Time in Status

I created a filter, modified the date range, and added additional status categories to get all the status time information I needed.

Paige_Williams June 4, 2019

Where were you able to find this menu? I do not see "Time Reports" within the project reports dashboard

Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2019
Paige_Williams June 5, 2019

I am using Jira Software, not Service desk unfortunately

Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2019

Article is applicable for Jira Software too / relevant to Next-Gen projects.

0 votes
Saad February 8, 2019

Need this feature in JSD server too please. Basic functionality again. 

We have time stamps for each transition but no report? Seems weird

0 votes
Pramod Karthikeyan August 17, 2018

I believe the Control chart would be able to tell you the time its spent on each status.  Is that what you are looking for in #1?

Trish September 28, 2018

Like Deleted user likes this
0 votes
Antônio Duarte May 30, 2018

Did you try "Time Reports" from "Prime Timesheet"?

There is a Cloud version and it seems to fit your needs.

Greetings.

Antonio.

Claire Kemp November 14, 2019

Suggest an answer