How to trace issues moved from one backlog to another ?

Veeraj Bissoonauth September 23, 2019

If an issue XXX-123 is moved from a backlog to another, the issue ID is changes to say, YYY-987. How can I write a query to pull similar types of issues, including the timestamp of when they were originally created, original backlog details, the timestamp of when they were moved to the other backlog, the new backlog details ?

I have Script runner installed and am new to JIRA as well as Script Runner. 

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2019

Hi Veeraj,

I see that you are looking to be able to search JQL for issues that have been moved to different projects.   Unfortunately, this is not something that you can do currently with the native JQL in Jira Cloud or Jira Server.    However I can certainly see how this would be helpful to have within Jira.  So I created suggestion for this for both platforms:

While native JQL won't let you search for such historical project changes, if you happen to know the issue in question you can review the History tab found on the issue view.  This history view can record and log when an issue will change its project/issuekey.  So it might be helpful to at least know that Jira can track this information, even it is not something that is currently available to be searched upon in JQL.

That said, I have come across other posts with users seeking to do this.  I would recommend taking a closer look at https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Re-How-to-find-issues-that-were-moved-from-one-project-t/qaq-p/49116/comment-id/20715#M20715

In that post are steps on how this could be done with Scriptrunner.  Perhaps this method could be applied here to Jira Cloud if you had the scriptrunner add-on.   In Jira Server I have also seen reports of other marketplace apps like JQL Tricks that could help here, but since that plugin doesn't seem to have a Jira Cloud equivalent at this time, it won't be helpful here for your use case.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Veeraj Bissoonauth October 16, 2019

Hi Andy,

We are still unable to do this on JIRA Cloud. Any other suggestion ?

Veeraj

Suggest an answer