How to test JIRA project settings and workflow changes

Can anyone suggest a good methodology for testing a change to a JIRA workflow or other project setting before making those changes available to everyone?  I administer a JIRA Cloud project.  When I make an enhancement or change to our workflow or project component, I want to be able to test it to know if it is working as intended before making it available to everyone.  Yes, just like software testing to verify changes before making available in "production".

What is the easiest way to have a test copy of my entire JIRA project inclusive of Workflows, Schemes, Screens, Fields?  Do I have to manualy create a new test project, save test copies of all the components/schemes that I may want to change and test first and then have to set those in my test project inclusive of a test workflow based on my production workflow, Test Screens, Test Fields, etc?

Seems like a lot of manual work to manage.  Is there an easier way?

I was surprised that searches have basically come up empty in looking for existing discussion.  Thank you to anyone who may be willing to offer suggestions or guidance!

Doug

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Jeremy Mooiman Community Champion Jun 15, 2017

Dear Douglas,

JIRA does not offer the functionality of copying a project. JIRA does however have the possibility of sharing the configurations of a project when you are creating a new project. Although, since the configuration is shared.. anything you adjust will also be editted on the project that shares the configuration with your new project. 

You will have to copy existing schemes to your new project under a new name and share it only with that project. A new test project. I have seen this in multiple JIRA instances, when there was no test environment available. Usually, you would have a JIRA production and a JIRA test environment, where you could make such changes and thus save the hassle of creating another project.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

Hi Jeremy,

Much appricition for taking the time.  I was afraid this might be the case.  More manual work than I'd like having to make second test copies of everything for a new project but looks like there's no way around it.  

Can you remind me how to copy something like a workflow?  Do I simply edit it and publish it as another name like "Test Copy of..."?  Or is there some way to copy without publishing?

Kind regards,
Doug

To add a bit of understanding to my question - I have created a test copy of my Worklow Scheme used by my Project in production.  The thing is, the Worklow listed with the copy is the same workflow used in production.  Is that really a "Copy" of the workflow or the Same workflow?  If it's the same, how would I copy the workflow so that changes in test don't get applied to production?  Thank you!

I am encountering a similar issue as OP. Whenever I make a copy of an existing workflow or board, any changes I make to the copy, modifies the parent. This does not seem like a true copy. Am I missing something?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 14, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

How the Telegram Integration for Jira helps Sergey's team take their support efficiency to the bank

...+ reading Fantasy). The same is true for him at the bank he works for: Efficiency is key when time literally equals money. Read on to learn how Sergey makes most of the time he has by...

503 views 3 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you