How to tell JIRA to delete mail from inbox?

Hello all,

We have configured incoming mail server (pop) for mail handlers.
This works, it picks up the mail, and it creates an issue as expected. But during the next run, the issue will be created for a second time (and 3rd, and 4th also). We are using Yandex Mail, so our mail is hosted by Yandex.

So, how can I set up JIRA to delete emails from inbox?

Many thanks.

3 answers

1 vote
Pedro Souza Atlassian Team Sep 25, 2014

Hello Serge,

By default, JIRA will attempt to delete the message if it was successfully processed through the mail handler as per of:  https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

information Note — how JIRA handles messages on a mail server/service:

• For mail accounts, JIRA scans email messages received by your mail account's 'Inbox' folder. However, for IMAP mail servers, you can specify a different folder within your mail account.
  • If JIRA successfully processes a message, JIRA deletes the message from your mail account (on a POP or IMAP mail server) or file system (i.e. for file system messages).
  • If JIRA does not successfully process a message, the message will remain either in your mail account or on the file system.

So if the messages are still in the Mailbox, probably are not being completely processed, or there is some settings in your mail box preventing the POP/IMAP client to delete the message.

Try to use a mailbox from a different mail server, use GMAIL for example, and check the IMAP/POP settings as below:

Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 3.11.13 PM.png

This settings above may prevent JIRA to delete the message, check if your mail provider has something similar.

Best regards,

Pedro Souza.

Hi, Do you know how to avoid email deletion after it's been processed? We don't wish to have all the mail brought into JIRA.

Any information on this?
We also need the e-mail message not to be deleted after processing. Is it possible to instead move it to another directory or something similar?

Hi, how to avoid email deletion after processing?

We are working with Exchange email account (we can set it both with POP and IMAP).

How can we configure the system in order to avoid JIRA from deletion of email messages?

Thank you

Regards

Hi,

I'm in the same situation as Arianna.

Our customer don't want the emails to get deleted after successfully been processed by JIRA. We currently using IMAP with Exchange server. 

Regards

Christoffer

Did you find a solution for keeping the messages on the server? Running into the same problem at the moment

Hi! I've the same problem, I need to avoid JIRA deletes the email AFTER successfully processes a message, or get it moved to another folder, but not deleted.

Solved it by adding a rule in Outlook that copies the mail to another folder.

Make sure to select "copy" and not "move"

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,293 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot