How to specify link direction when importing issues via external system CSV import

Jochen Neuhaus September 21, 2016

Following the directions in the manual and in https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-import-issue-links-from-a-csv-file-740262715.html, I am able to import new issues into JIRA from a CSV file and to specify issue links between the new and existing issues.

Unfortunately, for this issue link

NameOutward DescriptionInward Description
Implementationimplementsis implemented by

and this csv file:

Summary
Issue Id
Link:Implementation
new one
1TEST-1

it always imports a new issue "new one" and outward links it to the existing TEST-1. (new one implements TEST-1)

Is is possible to directly specify an inward link in the CSV file? I would like to specify "new one is implemented by TEST-1

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petar Petrov (Appfire)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2016

When importing through CSV and defining links, the row represents the source issue, while the issue id or key which is specified in the appropriate "Link" column is the destination issue. A link from source to destination is always an outward link - if you want to create an inward link, you need to swap the source and destination. This, however, will not work well for existing issues - if you create a row for TEST-1 in your example, if the issue exists you'll need to have columns for all its fields, otherwise they will be reset to default values. So I don't think this will work for you.

You could look at the JSON import instead, where you can specify which is the source and which is the destination issue. Another option is to write up a Script Runner groovy script to create the links, provided that you have the mapping for the issues. Or you could do the same via REST.

Jochen Neuhaus September 22, 2016

This is an important hint that CSV import will reset all fields of existing issues that are not present in the csv!

Thank you for the clarification.

I will look into the REST option.

0 votes
Omprakash Thamsetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2020

@Jochen Neuhaus I am also looking for the same. Did you get any workaround or solution to import the issue with Inward description?

Thanks,

Om

Jochen Neuhaus December 14, 2020

Hi @Omprakash Thamsetty,

There is no workaround using CSV, as the other answers here detail.

I wouldn't wait for Atlassian to implement the linked suggestion ticket, It's been on hold for only four years yet...

I believe, that we used the REST API in the end to both import the issues and to correctly set the link direction.

0 votes
Nikhil February 4, 2020

Jira currently only allows the import of outward link descriptions. 

Here's a feature request created for the ability to import inward link descriptions implemented in Jira Server application:

CSV Importer should allow users to choose to import Issue links as Outward or Inward Description

Please vote.

Suggest an answer