How to show that the Closed ticket is Resolved

Arthur Stepanyan May 18, 2022

I need to show that the Closed ticket is Resolved. But there is no such option in the crrent workflow. What can be done?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Steffano May 18, 2022

In the workflow, be sure that your transition to Closed/Done has a post function to mark the Resolution as done.

Edit Workflow > Select Transition > Post Functions > Update Issue Field > Issue Field = Resolution, Field Value = Done. 

This will mark the resolution to Done whenever a ticket goes through the transition.

Thank you Daniel, for your explanation!

I'll have to pass it up as I'm not supposed to introduce changes to workflow, being super-new to Jira.

Hey Arthur,

You're absolutely welcome! That's all you'll need to do. Good luck in all things Jira :)

Like Arthur Stepanyan likes this

Daniel, one more question:

When the workflow will be edited as you described, will the Resolution automaticall change to "Resolved" in the tickets that were marked Closed before the change in workflow?

And if it will be only for the future tickets, how do I change the existing ones to show "Resolved"?

Turned out to be two questions... sorry.

Good question! 

All tickets from the time the change is made that then proceed through the transition will be go through that new change in the workflow.

If you need existing tickets to have the resolution marked as "Done", you'll need to pass them through that same exact transition. Depending on your workflow, you may need to allow all statuses to transition to Done momentarily. From there, depending how many issues are made, you can do a bulk change and have them go through that transition, or do it manually. Up to you :) 

Let me know if you have any other questions, or open up a new question thread!

Like Arthur Stepanyan likes this

Thank you!!!

Like # people like this
Vishal Biyani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2022

@Arthur Stepanyan 

Also, if there is a possibility of re-opening the tickets in your transition i.e. from Done state it can be moved to say 'Open' or 'To Do' then ensure that in the reopen transition the resolution is cleared using the Post Function.

if this scenario is not taken care of, then quite a few JIRA reports break. this is based out of personal experience :-(

Like # people like this
Arthur Stepanyan May 19, 2022

Thank you for the warning!

Suggest an answer