How to show popup dialog/message to user from Java plugin in Jira

Marcel Höll December 1, 2017

I want to write a plugin, which informs the users on the UI, that the new assignee is in vacation.

To achieve this, I implemented an EventListener to listen to assignee events and check a CSV file on the server if the user is in vacation. If so, the plugin should diplay a message/popup to the user, that he is responsible for the assignment of the new user (in vacation) to the issue.

Is there any possibilty to do so or any othter way?

Thank you in advance

1 answer

0 votes
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2017

Hi Marcel,

You can use multiple UI elements for your purpose. AUI (Atlassian User Interface) is a library offering access to devs to Atlassian native UI objects. You might want to reuse one of those, I'm thinking of the Flag object (top-right corner notification) : https://docs.atlassian.com/aui/latest/docs/flag.html

Dialog2 (https://docs.atlassian.com/aui/latest/docs/dialog2.html) is another option if you need more space or interaction!

Please note that some of those components must be dependency injected in your web resources (mentioned on top of the page when applicable).

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Marcel Höll December 12, 2017

Thank you so far, but how do I call the Flag inside the Jira JAVA Plugin?

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2017

Hi,

UI transformations are usually handled in Javascript or through the velocity templates associated with your views. If your plugin is a "servlet only" plugin with no interface, I'm not sure you can leverage UI notifications.

Thanks

Suggest an answer