How to show a custom field(select list) when changing from one status to another

Issa Shaikh October 7, 2019

Hi,

Suppose I have field "acknowledged" with option yes,no,NA.

And I want to configure in such away that if issue status changes from "open" to "in progress" then the user must select one of three values to change the status.

Can it be done?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2019

Transitions screens are used when you want an option to modify a field during a transition. Simply put the field on a screen and present it during the transition. 

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2019

You would want 2 things. 

1. A transition screen to pop up to give the option to set the field.
  2. A validator on the transition to make sure that you can not run the transition unless the field is set. (not empty)

There is another way to do it by making the field "required" in the field configuration, but this can be tricky.

Issa Shaikh October 9, 2019

Got it Thanks Andrew.

I've used transtion screen with validators.

However when I try this affects versions field it gives me error as cannot be done with illiegal workflow. ANy reasons?

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2019

Can you give me a little more detail about what you are seeing? I'm not sure what you mean by illegal workflow.

Are you having problems putting Affects version on the transition screen, or having problems using it in the validator? Or is it something else?

1 vote
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2019

@Issa Shaikh   You would  need to  add a screen to  this  transition in  workflow, on  the screen you would have  this  field,  and  in the field configuration  you  should set  this  field as required. To be safe, if  the field configuration  is  shared by other screen/issue type, then make a copy of filed configuration   scheme  and associated to  this  screen/issue type.

Best regards,

Mo. 

Suggest an answer