How to setup JIRA to work offline and then sync to online when you return to work?

James Gowans December 2, 2020

I would like to be able to work on JIRA offline, then sync and upload my edits when I return to work and  connect to the network.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

Jira is an active service, not a passive data store.  You will need a completely different local store to work on "offline" and sync later.

One option would be to have your own Jira running on your own machine, running with an app that can synchronise between your local Jira and the main one.  This is expensive, clunky and the sync process will not be a 100% match.

The other option is a client that understands Jira and can sync when needed.  The only one I am aware of is the Jira Client at https://almworks.com/jiraclient/overview.html

James Gowans December 3, 2020

Nic, thank you for the invaluable insight and guidance.  Do you know if there is documentation on how to setup the client for this capability?

Thanks again for your help with this effort.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2020

Last time I looked, there was a link to the docs on that page I gave, but I see it's been changed a bit and made less obvious.  Hit the "Jira Client Reference" link in the top box, it will take you to the docs, and there's stuff in there about installing or deploying the client.

Suggest an answer