How to set values for a hidden field in Jira

Sudheer Kumar Vempala September 20, 2018

Hi,

I have a situation where I need to copy value from a field which Is hidden from all Create/Edit/view Screens.

Here Is an example 

I have 3 fields, Assignee , Field -2 , Field -3, 

when ever ;;workflow transits from open -> In progress then assignee value copies* to Field -2,

and when Inprogress --> done Field -3 gets* the value from Assignee. etc.

when Done --> Open Reporter field copies* the value from Field -3 

*Using Postfunction "Copy field value"

For some reason I don`t want to show Field -2 and Field -3 on Create/Edit/View Screen.

In Field Configuration Scheme when I hide the Fields. Their value set to NULL so above logic not working.

Any suggestion on this how a field can be used even though It`s hidden.

Thanks, 

sudheer

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2018

Hello,

You can achieve this by not putting the Field -2 and Field -3 customfields on your screens. Customfields don't need to be on the screen in order to update them via postfunction. Even if they are not on the screens (which means they will be hidden from your users), copy field value postfunction will run and update the fields. I just tested it to be certainly sure and it works like that. You can easily test it, too. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Sudheer Kumar Vempala October 19, 2018

Thanks that worked.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2018

Hello @Sudheer Kumar Vempala

Can you please share the business reason behind your requirement, i.e. you want to hide the fields on the issue screens but you still want to populate them with values?

Also an hidden field should be present on view screen, it's not required at all on the create en edit screen.

Santi November 25, 2020

@Tarun Sapra I came across this community post and have a similar need for a hidden field. The ticket that is being created from an outside program and the field is not intended to be edited from JIRA only the outside data source connected to the system. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. 

Ashley Haines May 13, 2022

@Santi did you find a solution?

Suggest an answer