How to set users not "Active" when they originate from directory "Crowd Server"?

Brian May 20, 2020

I am trying to understand how to control the amount of users counting against my license, but stumble when trying to control users that come though our connection to Crowd server.

Such a user does not have the option to "Edit Details" and set user NOT "Active" ?
(Jira Administration -> Applications -> Jira Software 8.5.3 (XXX users "link to YYY used")
Link to YYY used switches to "User Management" where most of our users come from Directory "Crowd Server" and all count against our license, no matter if they have ever logged in or not, or have not been used for ages.
We have around 30% wasted licenses this way, and Crowd Server is also an Atlassian product, so they should be able to better cooperate ;) ??

Or am I missing something?

Regards
Brian

1 answer

0 votes
Ed Letifov _TechTime - New Zealand_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2020

You Crowd directory in Jira is in Read-Only mode.

If you can't see Edit in User Directories next to your Crowd directory (because you are logged in through it), create an admin user in the Internal one, login with that user, then go into Edit mode on you Crowd directory. You will see Read-Only/Read-write modes. Once it is in Read-Write mode you will be able to edit details, including deactivating users.

Do note however, that the user you are deactivating may in fact be coming into Crowd from some external source e.g. LDAP/AD. If that connection from Crowd is read-only or in the case of LDAP/AD uses a user that doesn't have permissions to write to that backend source - the actual propagation of inactive status may fail. Setting the attribute to "Manage user status locally" on the directory in Crowd may help. In other words - review the chain N-to-N and test.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events