How to set up the Planning Board for an existing project.

Marcel_R__Ackermann February 19, 2012

Hi.

I have already built a project/workflow/etc. for JIRA. Now I installed Green Hopper and I wanted to view my project on the Planning Board.

I did all the necessary global configurations (e.g., adding a Rank field, customizing cards, ...). I added a new context (choosing a default filter that should show everything). Yet, although my project has plenty of issues, there are no cards showing up on the Planning Board. I tried many setting but I did not succeed in letting them appear.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

I had kind of the same problem with the Rapid Board in the beginning until I found out that that default filter used some unnecessary query conditions. (I can't remember exactly, but they were something like Version or Component, and I am using neither of these fields.) Once these conditions were removed my issues showed up. Unfortunately, since the Rapid Board in its current shape does not allow for customization, it is nigh useless to me.

Also, when switching to the Planning Board, i always end up with the Version view preselected. I am only interested in using the Assignee view, is there a way to make the Planning Board remember my last setting or to disable Version and Component altogether?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2012

Are you seeing the 'Project Overview' in Planning Board of Version? If you are seeing Version, and all your issues have a fixVersion associated with it, then you won't see any issues if the selection in on 'Unscheduled' items. Change to 'Project Overview' to see all the issues associated with the context you have set.

In Planning Board -> Version I only do have 'Unscheduled' as third-level option, which is expected, since I don't use Versions.

I can select Planning Board -> Project Overview, but the view is empty and there are no third-level options.

I do have FixVersion disabled in the Field Configuration Scheme, so I assume that no issue has set any FixVersion.

I do not have need for Versions (or Components), I use JIRA as a customer care helpdesk (no software development involved) and I want to use the drag-and-drop capabilities of GreenHopper to assign issues to workers.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2012

I just tested it, unhide the FixVersion in your field configuration scheme and things should work as normal. GH depends heavily on this field for all its operations.

You are right. With FixVersion enabled, at least all newly created issues do show up. Thanks.

(Of course, this solution is a little bit disappointing since I do not need the FixVersions for anything, and now it is just wasting space on the issue screen. But, anyways ...)

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2012

Just a question, you mentioned drag & drop to assign to workers? Drag and Drop actually happens for Versions and am a bit unclear how you are using it for assignees.

When in the Planning Board -> Assignee view there is a list of all assignable users to the right. Drag-and-drop a card on an assignee acts just as the assign action on the issue screen.

Unfortunately, it seems that you cannot bind screens to the drag-and-drop action. This is something that seems only to be possible with the Rapid Board (it uses the transitions), but only if you also switch the status (= column).

So essentially, none of these approaches work perfectly. I would really like a Rapid Board view where you could just drag-and-drop issues to workflow transitions (with corresponding screens). This would significantly reduce the number of clicks needed when your role is to constantly delegate issues.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2012

Oh yes, I missed that Assignee menu :)

And regarding screens, screens are actually associated with either edit option or with a transistion. In that sense for your usecase, while marking an item to 'In Progress' (from open) you could use the Rapid Board since it involves a transistion. But one transistioned, if changes as needed, then 'Edit in Jira' is the possiblity.

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2012

Hi Marcel,

are your issues still open ? The Planning Board shows only open issues.

Suggest an answer