How to set up notification rule only for one column in Kanban Board

Ostap vitiv June 8, 2016

Hello,

Could someone help me to set up notification rule only for one column (in settings available only when task is moving in general). For example: When Task  from "Selected for Development" moves to "Work in progress"  exactly about this movement I wan't to be notified. 

Is it possible ?

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2016
Please follow the below steps.
  • Move to JIRA Administration -> System -> Events under 'Advanced' panel on the left side.
  • Create a new Custom event. Say 'MyCustomEvent' with template as 'Issue Moved'.
  • In Notification Scheme, MyCustomEvent will appear at the bottom. Add sufficient users whom you need to notify.
  • Go to the workflow post function for this particular "Selected for Development" to "Work in progress" transition. Change the firing of existing event trigger with the 'MyCustomEvent'.

Kindly let me know the results. smile
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2016

Remember that there could be many transitions in different places for that one column move.

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2016

Yes, and he should make sure that the Transition Id is unique here. Otherwise, this event will be triggered for other transitions as well.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2016

Eh?  That doesn't make sense, transition IDs are unique within a workflow and other workflows are isolated so it doesn't matter.

Ostap vitiv June 8, 2016

Hello,

Everything goes well, but i am little bit confused with << Change the firing of existing event trigger with the 'MyCustomEvent'.>>

When i am trying to add transition, there is no available option to add event trigger.

I am just drawing workflow scheme from one spot to another and can name this transition.

I am doing something wrong?

Appreciate for your help ! Thank you so much !

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2016

While introducing a status into the workflow, you will add the event you wanna trigger. It will be triggered everytime when you make a transition to that status.

So, you wont get this while adding a transition between statuses.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2016

No, that's not quite right, although I think it might be the way I'm reading what's written.

• Events are fired by a post-function on workflow transitions. They have nothing to do with status directly.
  • When you create a new transition (whether it is by adding it the editor, or by using the "simplified workflow" to add status, which automatically creates a new transition of "all other status into this new one"), it has a post-function added to it automatically for "fire event".
  • You can edit the workflow post-function to change the event that a transition fires.  You can't delete it

So, in your case, you do three things:

1. Go to issues -> events and add a new event called MyCustomEvent.
  2. Go to your workflow, edit it, and on each transition you identify as going from the "selected column" to the "wip" column (as described in my answer), you will need to find the post-function section, and edit the "fire event" post-function, replacing the current event with MyCustomEvent
  3. Go to the notification scheme for the project, and you will see MyCustomEvent listed - add the user rules for who should be notified into that
Like Brett Moody likes this
Ostap vitiv June 9, 2016

Guys, thank you so much ! 

You are really proficient in this tool. Greetings from Ukraine =) 

Anne-Laure Joliot June 27, 2016

I cannot see the post function tab in JIRA ? it is just not there

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2016

Have you started editing the workflow?

Anne-Laure Joliot June 27, 2016

Actually I found it now ! I did not look good enough before !

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2016

Yes, sort of. 

The board is a view of a project or set of projects, and the columns are groupings of status within the workflows the selected project(s) use.

The move from "selected for development" to "work in progress" therefore represents one or more workflow transtitions.  Each transition fires an "event", which you can change if you edit the transitions post functions (you can define your own events as well - I'd suggest adding something like "developer picked up" for your case).  Once you know what events are going out, then look at the notification scheme - that tells JIRA who to email when events happen.  So you can map your event to sets of users, and they'll be emailed when the events happen.

Sibabalwe Mvelo May 11, 2020

What if I am not admin ?

Suggest an answer