How to set the fields to be edited by two different groups in Jira ..??

venugopal123 September 8, 2017

Hi,

We have edit button in Jira. But I want two fields to be edited by one group and other two fields to be edited by another group. How can I achieve it. Or in other words the owner of the field to edit it. Please guide me

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2017

If you need to enforce it, then you will need to move the edit functions into the workflow - remove the fields from the edit screen and place them on a transition screen, then have transitions that allow limited sets of users to go through the screens (using conditions on the transitions)

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2017

Nic, that is a great way to do it but you would have to train the users to go through the workflow to do the edits rather than hitting the edit button.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2017

Arthur, When Nic said 'limited sets of users' I'm sure he meant there would be a condition on the workflow that only allowed certain groups or roles to execute it. So the user would just go through the workflow and never know there was another path because the couldn't see it. 

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2017

Joe, yes I thought thats what he meant and I have done workflows with conditions that hide buttons but what about the EDIT button? I was not aware you can hide it and force them to go through the workflow?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 8, 2017

You only put the fields on the transition screen and view screens

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2017

Joe, I know that. I think you are missing my point, they can still click on the EDIT button. If they do and look for their field it wont be there. So you want to make sure they only go through the workflow. So hence my question can you HIDE the EDIT button.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 8, 2017

I'm a couple releases back. Can the users edit a field that isn't on the edit screen? 

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2017

Yes, I think that's what Nic is suggesting, put the fields on the transistion screens so they edit them there and not on the edit screen.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2017

To clarify this a bit (I hope)

• Edit permission grants the right to edit issues.  The whole issue.
  • When you edit an issue, you are presented with a screen, which is a list of fields. 
  • If a field is on this screen, you can edit the contents, either with the edit function, or inline, in the issue view directly.
  • If a field is not on the edit screen, you can not edit it, either with edit or in-line
  • Transitions are *not* edits, so the permission does not apply here.  Any field that is on the transition screen can be edited during the transition.

So, if you remove the field from eidt, then place it on a transition screen, you can only change it during the transition.  And transitions can be limited to specifuc users.

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2017

Good clarification and that what I thought you meant.

0 votes
Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2017

I would have the fields in different tabs with say the groups name on the tab somewhere so they know where to go. Works well for us in this situation.

venugopal123 September 10, 2017

Hi Nic..

Thanks for the quick replybut my question is slight different I have a field in transition screen as field 1and I have access to do this transitionI did the transition and I entered a value but later i realized that i entered the wrong valueso how can I change the field value for what I enteredAnd another person has transition access to another screen. He also does the sameI should not be able to edit his fields and he should not be able to edit my fieldsBut I have edit the field value after the transition

Can you kindly guide me

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2017

Add another transition in the workslow (Say RE-EDIT) and  have it bring up that same transition screen again so you can edit it but make sure it bings you back to the same spot in the workflow.

Suggest an answer